Menu
br1anstorm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

How to block internet access on old Moto handset?

I have an old Motorola W220 handset used as a spare/second mobile, and signed up to Virgin's £5 SIM-only monthly package which provides texts and minutes only (no data).

Any use of data under that package is billed at £2 per day (even if only for a millisecond and 1KB!).

The W220 mobile does - in theory - offer "web access" although as an old flip-type phone with a tiny screen, it is no smartphone and is of absolutely no use for internet activity.

Is there any way - either on the handset itself, or by some setting in the Virgin account - of blocking or barring internet access completely?

I ask because last month's bill included three £2 charges, apparently for internet access on three occasions, for 1kb, 3kb and 3kb respectively (ie a minuscule millisecond's worth of data).

I can only assume that this must have been the result of mistakenly pressing the wrong button (no idea which one) when using the phone.  As I never want to access the internet via this phone, how can I set things up to prevent it happening even inadvertently?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to block internet access on old Moto handset?

Hi br1anstorm,

you can call customer services (free on 789 from your mobile) and they can disable mobile data in the settings on your account.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi br1anstorm,

you can call customer services (free on 789 from your mobile) and they can disable mobile data in the settings on your account.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hi br1anstorm,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post about data charges that you are aware of on your old Motorola handset. It's great to see that AlexKid has given you helpful advice on how to get the data switched off on your handset.

Has you been able to get that sorted out?

If you haven't called in yet, I can help with this. I'll need to verify your details first, so I'll send you a pm requesting more information. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos