Menu
Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

How to blacklist an IMEI number for a lost phone

I recently lost my phone (note:it wasn't stolen). The phone (Samsung) was purchased outright from Carphone Warehouse and I use a monthly SIM only deal from Virgin. I got the existing SIM blocked and a new SIM was issued, now in a replacement phone with same number.

Before they pay out, my insurance company want proof that the handset has been blocked so it can't be reused. I understand this can only be done by a network provider blacklisting the IMEI number on a central database which is accessed by all network providers. Carphone Warehouse are not a network provider and can't do it. Virgin say they can't do it because it's not one of their phones. I'm doubtful whether that's accurate. I can provide them with proof of purchase and the IMEI number and they presumably have access to the database to carry out the blacklisting - in fact I've seen this mentioned on an old Forum discussion.They're my only option here but despite several calls I'm getting nowhere because it's not covered in their standard operating scripts. I have services with Virgin which incur charges of over £100 per month and to be honest would expect more helpful replies.

Any Virgin employees out there know the answer.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to blacklist an IMEI number for a lost phone

Call 789 choose help with my phone, ask one of the tech guys, it only takes a few moments

Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just in case it's useful for anybody else, the blacklisting activated after 24 hours. I was able to check this on a website www.imeipro.info for free (some other sites charge for the service). By taking a screenshot from the site I can provide the insurance company with what they require.

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I believe the police can add phones to the blacklist if you have proof of purchase

0 Kudos
Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The local police website says that to report a lost phone you first need confirmation from your network provider that the phone has been blocked.

VirginMobile is my network provider on which the phone has been used and should be taking the appropriate action. If they're acting as a virtual network provider and renting bandwidth from another supplier, then they should interface with their end supplier to make it happen. It's not difficult - they just need to blacklist the IMEI number. 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You may need to add the imei number to the account before blacklisting it. The black list Bly applies UK wide.

0 Kudos
Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - already done at the outset, and Virgin still say they can't do it.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Call 789 choose help with my phone, ask one of the tech guys, it only takes a few moments

Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I've already phoned 3 times and spent over an hour getting nowhere - but perhaps you're suggesting something different? Are you saying I should try the Tech guys rather than the general customer account people, who in truth are struggling to even understand the concept of what's required.

If so, I will give that a go tomorrow, once I've recovered the will to live.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes just that

0 Kudos
Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

JOhn

As I said before I had already tried to get this done three times ringing Virgin, but your suggestion to talk to the Tech guys seems to have worked well. The handset has now been blacklisted. It would of course be helpful if Virgin made their general helpline teams aware of this process so that they can advise people appropriately.

The only outstanding issue is getting confirmation for the insurance company because the Tech guys don't have access to email for security reasons. I think there's something on line where I can check a phone's status and whether it's blacklisted, so I might try that as confirmation for insurance. Otherwise I will see if Virgin can confirm it on "Chat".

I really appreciate your help on this - it has probably saved me making several more calls.

0 Kudos
Oldie55
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just in case it's useful for anybody else, the blacklisting activated after 24 hours. I was able to check this on a website www.imeipro.info for free (some other sites charge for the service). By taking a screenshot from the site I can provide the insurance company with what they require.