Menu
galpat
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to access Virgin wifi hotspots with Virgin mobile phone

I have a new Virgin mobile phone.  I thought the WiFi buddy app was supposed to let me access WiFi when out and about in places with Virgin hotspots.  But wherever I am, there are lots of Virgin labelled WiFi networks listed, but they all require passwords.  I thought the Virgin SIM was supposed to automatically connect.  And if not, how is one supposed to know the passwords?  Is there something on my phone that ought to be enabled that's not?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to access Virgin wifi hotspots with Virgin mobile phone

At present WiFi Buddy allows mobile customers access to hotspots via services like The Cloud

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/broadbandextras/wifi-buddy.html

Where you see hotspots with Virgin Media names, these are Virgin Media broadband customers own personal home WiFi networks. The only current exception to this is in the London Underground where a 'Virgin Media WiFi' network exists - but this is currently separate to the WiFi Buddy app.

Virgin Media have said that they will be extending this coverage to include additional hotspots and also to broadband customers away from their home, but as yet this hasn't been fully released - www.virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just to check, do you take broadband from Virgin?

As far as I am aware you have to be a broadband customer.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At present WiFi Buddy allows mobile customers access to hotspots via services like The Cloud

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/broadband/broadbandextras/wifi-buddy.html

Where you see hotspots with Virgin Media names, these are Virgin Media broadband customers own personal home WiFi networks. The only current exception to this is in the London Underground where a 'Virgin Media WiFi' network exists - but this is currently separate to the WiFi Buddy app.

Virgin Media have said that they will be extending this coverage to include additional hotspots and also to broadband customers away from their home, but as yet this hasn't been fully released - www.virginmedia.com/virginmediawifi

0 Kudos
galpat
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So all the stuff on Virgin's website about how your Virgin SIM will automatically sign you into WiFi in Virgin-cabled streets and all sorts of cafes and coffee bars, etc. (which is one of the reasons I got my mobile from Virgin) is just a load of guff?  My phone came with WiFi buddy installed on it, and all the stuff on the web about it claims it does the above.  ????

0 Kudos
galpat
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, my home broadband, phone and TV is with Virgin.  Don't know how my mobile would know that, though....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

galpat wrote:

Yes, my home broadband, phone and TV is with Virgin.  Don't know how my mobile would know that, though....

Hi galpat,

you should have registered your Virgin Mobile number as a Media customer to get unlimited calls to other Virgin Mobile phones included.

If you haven't done this you need to text your Virgin Media home phone number or account number to 789444.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When you load the App, you'll see a box labeled "Hotspot Map", if you click on that  box - it will load a map showing you all the places nearby you can connect too.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

galpat wrote:

So all the stuff on Virgin's website about how your Virgin SIM will automatically sign you into WiFi in Virgin-cabled streets and all sorts of cafes and coffee bars, etc. (which is one of the reasons I got my mobile from Virgin) is just a load of guff?  My phone came with WiFi buddy installed on it, and all the stuff on the web about it claims it does the above.  ????

Cafes and Bars with appropriate WiFi coverage will work with WiFi Buddy as per the first link I provided above.

WiFi in Virgin Media enabled streets is on it's way, but hasn't yet been enabled, as is covered on the second link I provided above.

0 Kudos