Menu
BenM64
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How much does it cost to use data after going over allowance?

Hi there. I've just about managed to over my 1GB data allowance for the month. I was wondering what the charges are like after going over it, if I were to use internet when not connected to wi-fi.

Thanks a lot!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How much does it cost to use data after going over allowance?

Each day you use any data it will cost £2 for unlimited data that day.

Example: your allowance has just run out and you have 7 days left untill your refresh date and you use data on all the 7 days = £2 a day for 7 days = £14 extra on your monthly bill.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos

All Replies
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Data after your allowance is used up comes in at £2 for each day you use some data.

Not cheap, so maybe worth you turning data off on your phone untill your next allowance refresh date.

BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
BenM64
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:

Data after your allowance is used up comes in at £2 for each day you use some data.

Not cheap, so maybe worth you turning data off on your phone untill your next allowance refresh date.

So it starts off at £2 whenever I use it and gets higher from there?

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Example: your allowance has just run out and you have 7 days left untill your refresh date and you use data on all the 7 days = £2 a day for 7 days = £14 extra on your monthly bill.

0 Kudos
BenM64
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh right

teabag wrote:

Oh right, in fairness that does sound a lot better than I was expecting, though I will go easy on it. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi BenM64

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy

As teabag advised, you'll be charged £2 per day (for unlimited data use) where any data is used on that day if you exceed your monthly data allowance. This will happen until your next refresh date when your data allowance will be restored.

If you find you go over the 1GB quite often, it may be more economical to switch up to the next plan with more data. You can switch your plan up and down at any time on Virgin Mobile (even if you're in contract with us), but any changes will only take affect from your next refresh date.

To check all the available bundle options, just head to your online account here and select 'Plan and device' and then 'Change tariff'. All the available tariffs will be listed on there for you to choose from.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
lewis3434
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ok so / I have gone over my allowance waaaaayyyt before it's due to renew (19 days) I've turned off mobile data to avoid charges but work away and really could do with using it.. so - if I buy an add on, can I use the data without being charged the daily rate for being over my original, contracted allowance? Make sense?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi lewis3434

Yes it makes sense :-)

If you buy a data add-on, while using that add-on there will be NO daily charges, which are now £3@day per 1GB
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
lewis3434
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks teabag Smiley Happy and I thought it was £3, was just hoping I was wrong :-p add on being loaded! £10 for 1gb a bit ridiculous in price I feel but it's better than potentially paying £57 extra potentially :-/