Menu
Sajidoor
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

How do the mobile tarffs actually work?

So i recently got a new virgin media sim and i created a virgin mobile account to get myself a tariff. However i don't really understand how this system works.

For instance if i topped up £10 at the start would i immediately be able to choose the Big talk or the Big data and texts tariff or do i have to pay an additional of £10 to do that?

And even if i do get one of the two tariffs would i have to top up £10 every month to activate it or will it just do it by itself?

Finally is there a way i can just buy data after topping up the £10 for the first time

Thank you all for your help

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How do the mobile tarffs actually work?

Since it's a new payg sim you are currently on the starter tariff. Once you top up your £10 you can either do nothing  (and stay on the starter tariff with no bonus) or change to one of the big tariffs. To change call 789, take option 3 and select which of the big tariffs you want (it's an automated system).

The welcome bonus (you should get a message when this is ready to use) will last until the end of next month (or until you use it all up if before that, obviously).

After that, yes you have to top up £10+ in a month to receive a bonus the next month (i.e. top up in November to get a bonus in December).

There are some FAQs at the bottom of the page on the following link that may help. http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-as-you-go/tariffs.html

All Replies
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ah, the current pay as you go  (big) tariffs...

In principle as soon as you've topped up you can switch to either of the tariffs  (although I seem to remember reading someone having a problem and ended up topping up again to get things to work).

Once you are moved onto a big tariff you get a one off welcome bonus  (basicly the same as the £10 top up bonus) that will be valid for (at least) 45 days so you won't need to top up after the start of the tariff during the rest of this month with regards the bonus.

Thereafter the months bonus is determined by the previous months top ups. For instance, to have a bonus in December you'll need to top up at least  £10 during November (and if you top up twice by £5 it still works). If you top up by £15 you get more bonus. More than  £15 makes no difference to the bonus and the bonus desn't 'roll over', so any of a December bonus you don't use is lost when we move to January.

If you don't top up one month you will not receive a bonus the next month. Don't forget that you keep the value of the top ups as well so if you're a light user you'll probably have a month every so often where you don't top up and just use your built up credit. As far as I'm aware there is no automated top up system so all top ups are elective.

Just buy data - No, but yes. No, you can't buy a data allowance but you can use data at the standard rate, currently  £1 per 100MB per day (so you can imagine that can quickly get expensive).

Also bare in mind that the bonus is data & text or talk, if you use a significant amount of both data and airtime you'll be feeling the costs of out of allowance usage and a different package may better suit your needs.

Sajidoor
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

So does this mean as soon as I top up £10 I will get to choose either of the big tariff bonuses and to get the bonuses for next month I have to top up an extra £10 the month before?

Thank you for your answer
0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Since it's a new payg sim you are currently on the starter tariff. Once you top up your £10 you can either do nothing  (and stay on the starter tariff with no bonus) or change to one of the big tariffs. To change call 789, take option 3 and select which of the big tariffs you want (it's an automated system).

The welcome bonus (you should get a message when this is ready to use) will last until the end of next month (or until you use it all up if before that, obviously).

After that, yes you have to top up £10+ in a month to receive a bonus the next month (i.e. top up in November to get a bonus in December).

There are some FAQs at the bottom of the page on the following link that may help. http://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/pay-as-you-go/tariffs.html