Menu
raywalker690
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

How can Virgin charge for unsolicited premium rate texts not received on my mobile phone?

My partner and I both have Virgin smart phones and she is being hit for texts which she never receives.  Virgin know enough to charge her but not enough to stop the texts.  Surely Virgin is paid to provide a service.  Charging for a text which is not sent to the customer's phone is not providing a chargeable service, yet Virgin collects extortionate amounts, takes its cut and then passes on the rest to the scam company.  Staff will tell us that lots of customers are affected but nothing is done.  could someone please explain how a text is charged for by Virgin when it does not appear on the customer's Virgin phone?

0 Kudos
bucephalus
Dialled in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can Virgin charge for unsolicited premium rate texts not received on my mobile phone?

find the orginal 5 digit recipient and text STOP ALL to it.  if it can't be found maybe look at changing your phone number. extreme but it will stop any future charges

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can Virgin charge for unsolicited premium rate texts not received on my mobile phone?

MT billing should only happen when the SMS is received. The charge is made by the text originator and the mobile carrier simply passes it on. It's even worse for Virgin as they are a VMO and their comms come via EE. Virgin have no way of knowing whether the message is unsolicited, and rightly so.

If the charges are appearing on your bill, then the texts were, as far as the system is concerned, delivered. If your handset has the number blocked, it's possible that the text appears delivered to the system even though you can't see it. Check your phone's blacklist to see if this is the case.

If you're a victim of mobile scam, it's the result of you being less than careful with your number, a grudge from someone who already knows your number, or just random bad luck. None of which can be reasonably argued to be Virgin's fault.
0 Kudos
grumpygraeme
Up to speed
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

been through all this before with virgin. 3rd party company bills virgin for the services and virgin hands the money over with no questions asked.

good luck getting your money back as all they advise is legally they have to pay the 3rd party company and screw the customer over,this of course is once you have been through the minefield of vm customer service(haha) and been passed onto hle team.

i argued my case and even after going through phonepayplus who agreed the charges were fraud virgin still refused to give me my money back.

an absolute sham of a company who wouldn't even defer the charges raised against me till it was sorted,i offered to keep paying the line rental but they wouldn't accept this and cut my wife off.

my whole family have now left their shi$ company and would recommend others do the same.

the sooner they go **bleep** up the better

0 Kudos
zetetic
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

How did they get your number in the first place? maybe VM embedded it in HTTP headers or a proxy they use! they are not going to tell you because ££££ roll in. No info on the company that`s just robbed you, no receipt for money charged then no payment.

0 Kudos
norskyorkie
Up to speed
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

From my experience you don't even have to 'sign up' for anything.

Just after I got a VM PAYG phone I noticed £4.50 had vanished from my credit, I looked at my usage account and found it was three premium value texts, I knew I hadn't done or been anywhere to OK this so contacted VM, this was when they actually cared.

They told me where the text came from in the UK, I found out this was a subsidiary of a Swiss company so sent them both an e-mail asking what the hell was going on.

I got a phone call from Switzerland saying there had been a computer glitch, Yeh that I believed, and if I gave them my bank details they would return the money.

Laughingly he said you British are so suspicious when I told him I would rather have a cheque, one did arrive several days later, I'm still not sure if it was a con or genuine but you can get charged without authorising it, well you could a few years ago.

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Ive had something simliar.

A while back I was sat at my desk playing a game on my pc, I keep my phone nearby when it went off, left it as i was busy ingame and it went off a further two times, picked it up to have three messages of "thanks for your purchase" each one charging a couple of £.

It happened once more about 5 mins later then stopped.

Now I called virgin right away who said to be charged for these I obviously text them and that I should avoid it in th future,

When i told them I did no such thing they said well maybe it was someone in your house,

Told them id been home alone all morning they basicly just went well it had to have been you and promptly ended the conversation.

never got my money back lost about £30.

I even asked virgin later on if i could make sure it didnt happen again was one thing to lose £30 but the fact someone did this without my knowledge or permission worried me .

And no i hadnt entered my phone anywhere or signed up for anything etc

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alpha123,

I'm afraid we wouldn't be able to compensate your for the charges. When a premium subscription charges you, the charge is passed on to us first. This is why we're unable to waive the fee as we've already been charged on our side.

If you need any further advice with specific premium rate numbers, let me know.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Nath316
Dialled in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Surely though it should be possible to pause the message, contact the target and query them.

That way if it is acceptable then it is passed on to target or if rejected you bounce the message back and do not get charged or if you do then you can re-coup the monies as they were unsolicited

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Nath316 wrote:

Surely though it should be possible to pause the message, contact the target and query them.

That way if it is acceptable then it is passed on to target or if rejected you bounce the message back and do not get charged or if you do then you can re-coup the monies as they were unsolicited

I don't think that would be workable. There were 160 billion text messages sent in the UK in 2013. Even if 0.001% of those messages were premium texts, that would still be 1.6 million that would need to be tracked and verified by the mobile phone providers (not just Virgin Media).

I would expect there are also regulations about how quickly billing charges have to be passed between providers to ensure that everything is accurately charged (separate to disputes).

Plus imagine if any premium text was checked first. Services like timed text voting on TV shows like X-Factor or Strictly Come Dancing would cease as everyone would get a check against each vote cast.

Even the Premium call and text regulator's advice is to contact the company directly, or themselves for advice http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/for-the-public/unsure-about-a-number-on-your-phone-bill

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos