Menu
mayfish
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

How can I tell when a SMS has been converted to a chargeable MMS on my S7 Edge

Hi, I've a new Samsung S7 Edge. My old S5 used to tell me when I'd typed too much in a text message and it was converting it to a MMS. I have to pay for MMS messages. So I would break down the text message into 2 or more SMS and avoid the charges.
My new S7 doesn't tell me and I'm running up a bill.
I've set my phone in the texting app via
MORE/Settings/More Settings/Multimedia messages
And turned on Set restrictions to restricted, which I thought would help, but it's not.
Anyone got any ideas how I can know when I'm creating a MMS, and avoid the related charges. Thanks.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I tell when a SMS has been converted to a chargeable MMS on my S7 Edge

Also if you use emojis other than the basic stuff, it can then change them to mms as the advanced emojis are more than just a few items from the keyboard layout they need data to send this mms sadly

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: How can I tell when a SMS has been converted to a chargeable MMS on my S7 Edge

This is what happens on my S6, so I'd be surprised it's much different on the S7.

I can create a SMS message that's formed of 10 messages before it changes it to a MMS. I then get the warning message that it's being converted and the message count changes to a KB count.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mayfish
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

That's great thanks.
0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also if you use emojis other than the basic stuff, it can then change them to mms as the advanced emojis are more than just a few items from the keyboard layout they need data to send this mms sadly
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The S6 and S7 shouldn't do that anymore, although it was an issue on the older Samsung handsets. Can't remember which one they fixed it on though.

Even the picture emoji on the current Samsung phone should be sent as text (depending the emoji it uses more than one text character as you can see the character count changing once you get into a multi part message). The phone then replaces the character with the corresponding emjoi when it's displayed.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos