Menu
speccyleccy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Here is an offer...that you can't have. Oh, now you can, but can't. Again.

Last Monday (Sep 28) I received a mailshot featuring various offers for different smartphones and tariffs. As I still have a distinctly not-smart phone I was interested in the Samsung Galaxy Core Prime with free tablet. The £11 tariff would mean only paying £1 more a month than I am at present. Off I went to the Wood Green store. After persuading them that they really were doing this offer (good job I took the mailshot with me) they eventually located the stock in the basement and I was sat at the computer. All went well until some unspecified hitch with the EID (or IED) check. After the bloke serving me had spent 30 minutes on hold to the relevant department I had to leave. He promised he would phone me that afternoon.

He didn't phone me.

Undeterred I went back the next day, only to be told that I couldn't have the deal as it was a freestyle contract and I was on a standard contract. Without any exploration of the possibility of switching / resigning from one contract to take the other he tried to show me which phones I could have. I made my excuses and left. That afternoon I rang the 0800 number on the mailshot and explained to the lady who answered what I was after and could I switch contracts etc. She said she would contact the relevant department and call me back within 24-48 hours. That was Wednesday. I heard nothing Thursday or Friday. However, this afternoon I saw I'd had a missed call from the 0800 number. I rang back and explained the situation to the chap at the other end. He didn't seem to think it was a problem at all and started going through the process with me. Except we ground to a halt at the credit check. Apparently I had exceed my number of monthly credit checks. Not my credit, my number of credit checks. Now I would have to wait 30 days until they could do another credit check, despite getting one of the highest credit ratings in the store last week.

I'm all a little baffled by this. Why don't Virgin employees call their customers back when they say they will? Why did I receive a mailshot for offers that at least 2 employees didn't seem to think I could have? How many credit checks do I have to be put through? I'm an existing customer and have been for 15 years. My new direct debit (providing I ever get the damn thing) will be a whole £1 more than before.

The back of the mailshot states 'It couldn't be easier to get a new smartphone with Virgin Media'. I beg to differ. And I wonder if the 'limited offer while stocks last' will have run out in 30 days time? Perhaps I should find a mobile phone company that provides offers that their customers can actually take advantage of.

Would you believe it? Just as I was finishing the previous sentence the lady from last week rang back. She didn't seem to know that I had spoken to someone else not 30 minutes previously. The good news is that I can apparently switch from my standard contract and have the upgrade! I then told her about the earlier phone call and she echoed the credit check / 30 day wait thing.

Brilliant.

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Here is an offer...that you can't have. Oh, now you can, but can't. Again.

HI Speccyleccy,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you've had some issues with ordering the phone from our offers. I promise that this isn't what we want our customers to go through when ordering a handset from us.

I'm afraid when it comes to the credit limit checks, our hands are tied before we can process this. I'm really sorry for all the frustration caused on our part.

Please keep me updated with your situation as I'm keen to see you take up the brilliant offer you found.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
speccyleccy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I've only just received a notification e-mail of your reply this morning - some 6 days after the event. Curious.

Anyway, it turns out that the occupant of the downstairs flat is also a Virgin Media customer and has had some recent credit checks. I knew I hadn't had 3 or more, but my attempts were being read against the overall address and not the individual flats, if that makes sense. I can't be bothered ringing Experian (or whatever they're called) so I've given up.

If the shop had been able to switch my account from Standard to Freestyle in the first place (or told me I couldn't BEFORE running the credit check - which went through and I passed) we wouldn't have reached this impasse.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Speccyleccy,

Thanks for coming back to me Smiley Happy

I'm glad to see you got to the bottom of what's causing the issue. Experian will be able to get this sorted as they can amend your address details to ensure that you don't get this problem again.

You can call them on  0344 481 0800 for this. Give it a go and let me know how you get on. We'd really like to keep you as a customer.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
speccyleccy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I rang the number. From the options given I selected number 4 (for non-members). An automated voice told me that telephone support was not available for non-members and I should sign up via the website.

I shan't be bothering to do that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I understand Speccyleccy.

Please let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos