Menu
CarlB
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Help

We arrived in Cyprus 2 days ago and despite being assured by virginmedia that we could use the 4 phones registered to me - we can't. All 4 are saying no service. This has never been a problem before. I really need to get my phone working due to family issues at home but I can't ring virgin as I have no phone! Ringing from a landline here just eats money and then cuts off. Any ideas? Or is there a free phone number I can use to get in touch with virgin? Thanks for any help. 

0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help

Hi Carl. You'll see you are yet another in a long line of people with the same issue, you'll even see there is a roaming sticky at the top.

Alas you wont be given any useful advice other than to phone which for most of us abroad simply isn't possible.

So far I have switched On roaming via settings many times but this does nothing, when checking back it had changed to off again, now my account says it is going through changes today (for the last week) so I can't edit anything.

I've tried the usual off/on, remove sim, etc but still no service, the fault clearly lies with Virgin.

I've cheated on this forum and on pm but no help, they simply say phone us !, which I can't!

There is no alternative/online/chat system to resolve such issues, there is an online complaints:chat option but it ALWAYS says all agents are busy.

I was asked to fill in a social
Media help form which I did over a week ago but no response.

I've chatted to Virgin mobile on Facebook but still no help, they simply said fill in the same form or phone.

I've also emailed the ceo and I did get a reply saying they will look into it, although I havnt got my hopes up.

Let me know how you get on, there clearly is a major issue with roaming and the inability for customers to contact Virgin from abroad but it doesn't look like Virgin will acknowledge this.
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

See my latest post on here 😃
0 Kudos
Andydd68
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi CarlB,

Welcome to the communitySmiley Happy and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties roaming while in Cyprus. Appreciate this is frustrating particularly when family is involved.

I have provided a link for you here which will offer some things for you to try mainly online.

If after trying these steps you're still experiencing issues I would recommend calling us on 00 44345 6000 789 as you mentioned +447953967967 was busy.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

NeilJP
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi all, came to this forum rather agitated that I couldn't get any service in Cyprus and was disappointed to read how common the problem seems to be and difficult to fix. What was also annoying is that my wife has the same phone, also on Virgin and connected immediately without any problem!

So, having tried every suggestion including checking that roaming was activated in my account etc.etc. I gave in and called the number suggested by Steve.

Turns out that the problem was with the 'back-end' of my account (the bit only Virgin can access), where roaming was switched off.

The call lasted around 11mins and fortunately I was able to do it for free via the Virgin SmartCall app which I loaded to wife's phone as soon as we arrived.

All I would say to anyone reading this already abroad, assuming you've tried the other suggestions is that you'll need to call Virgin to resolve the connection issue.

If you haven't left the UK yet, give them a call before you go to ensure the 'back-end' bit is enabled.

I was told once the problem was sorted it would take up to 24 hrs to fix but it actually took a lot less.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi NeilJP,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you were unable to get a connection in Cyprus. This was clearly not a good start for you especially as your wife could connect.

I'd like to thank you for providing some good advice to anyone else who's experiencing a similar problem. I'm glad you were able to get the issue fixed very quickly.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your time in Cyprus.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos