Menu
ColinTaylor
Up to speed
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Help No mobile data whilst abroad

I'm currently in Italy and neither of my phones have data connections. I've texted the code to enable it and gotten a confirmation back but still no data. Voice calls work ok.

I've been trying to call the helpline number for customers abroad but all I get is "The network is busy try again later"!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help No mobile data whilst abroad

Hi ColinTaylor,

Thanks for your postSmiley Happy

My sincere apologies your unable to use mobile data abroad and are having difficulties calling us to rectify it.

Have you enabled data roaming on the handsets?

I've provided a link here to our handset guide. This has various walk through's on how to enable data roaming on your handsets. 

If you have enabled data roaming I would suggest calling our mobile team on +44345 6000 789 so we can take a look at this for you

Let me know how it goes

Speak soon

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
ColinTaylor
Up to speed
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen,

Data roaming is enabled. Both phones have never had a problem with any other provider. I've tried calling the help number you provided but gave up after 15 minutes on hold with no indication of when I'd get through as presumably this was costing me a fortune.

Can someone contact me urgently by email and sort this out please.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi ColinTaylor,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It sounds as though everything should be set up correctly on the handset.

I will send you a private message shortly (red envelope, top left hand side) to gather some further details.

Speak soon.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Please Colin please post back if Stephen really did fix the problem

My experience is that VM appear to have major system problem and Stephen and the other moderators, like the other help channels are simply supplying canned responses.

Please prove me wrong!
0 Kudos
ColinTaylor
Up to speed
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Andrew1010 wrote:
Please Colin please post back if Stephen really did fix the problem

My experience is that VM appear to have major system problem and Stephen and the other moderators, like the other help channels are simply supplying canned responses.

Please prove me wrong!

In the end I was asked to report the problem here (https://help.virginmedia.com/system/web/custom/socialMediaEnquiryForm_ssl.jsp) as they couldn't help me on this forum.

Initially the response there was good. Someone got back to me quickly and sorted out one of the phones. Unfortunately the other phone (iPhone) was not fixed and despite numerous attempts to re-contact the team for the last week they now seem to be ignoring me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin,

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

I'm really sorry that you haven't had a response from the team.

Can you let me know what the last communication with us involved? I want to pick up from where it was left off.

Let me know when you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
ColinTaylor
Up to speed
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat,

In the end I created a second Social Media enquiry and eventually, after a long-winded and tortuous process*, managed to speak to someone in the complaints department.

He couldn't see anything wrong with the iPhone account so all I can do the next time I go abroad is to phone VM before I leave to check the account again and hope for the best when I arrive.

Colin

P.S. I note that your Social Media Enquiry page doesn't exist anymore.

* The biggest complaint customers have with large organisations like VM is the inability to contact the appropriate person in a timely manner. If a VM staff member has asked me to phone him it is frustrating that I have to:

1) Phone the general help line and go into a queue.

2) Speak to someone that isn't able to transfer me to the right person and asks me to hang up and ring the same number again.

3) Ring the number again and go into a queue.

4) Speak to another person and explain everything again.

5) Be transferred to another telephone queue for the correct department (who's number is secret).

6) Wait in that queue until someone answers. The agent says the person I'm contacting is free so they transfer me again to their number (also secret).

7) By this point the batteries in my phone were almost out of power and I can see myself having to start the whole process again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update Colin Smiley Happy

Please keep me updated on any info on this. I'm here if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
BexTech
Superfast
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Virgin, is for a communications company, it's extremely hard to communicate with them and more so them to communicate with customers. 

0 Kudos