Menu
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Help! 3 faulty phones all outside warranty but within contract!

I took out three mobile contracts for 2 years.  All phones i have had issues with one has been repaired within warranty and one was replaced within warranty.  This process was extremely time consuming and more than a little stressful littered with complaints and constant calls and contact to Virgin media who i finally gave up on and just accepted the phones were 'working' ,  Now the same problem with two of the phones has re occured and they are outside warranty (but within the 2 year contract) the third phone now will not power on and when i checked phone fix the cost of repair was quoted as £96.  I have tried to contact via chat but always busy.  I tried via new mobiles (funnily enough they are available) but cannot help.  Who can i contact for help that will actually help?  shouldn't the phones that you get on a two year contract be serviceable for that length of time?  I cannot ring as i have a vocal chord problem and cannot speak up on the phone, is there an email contact i could use? i would be grateful for any help to resolve these ongoing issues which are costing me a monthly contract for faulty phones and an ineffective and substandard level of service. Thanks

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help! 3 faulty phones all outside warranty but within contract!

What phones are they? Samsung have a 2 year warranty during which Samsung will repair them. (A much better bet than Virgin.)

0 Kudos
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi one is Samsung.  I will try that.  You have been a great help. Thank you

0 Kudos
woodlydog
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have contacted Samsung about one of the phones.  the other two are microsoft nokia's that have both had the same continuous intermittent problems with powering off and back on again then just dying completely.  I did live chat with microsoft and they will repair at a cost of £45 per device.  i am raising a complaint with them also.  How can taking out a contract and buying new phones for peace of mind family contact turn into such an ongoing nightmare? 

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This has always been a bone of contention since 2 year contracts became the norm. When I started with mobile back in the early 90's both phone and contract lasted for 12 months, so no problem.

Many modern phone contracts now split the payments into 2. One payment as a loan for the purchase of the phone and one for the actual airtime. However, there are many of the old style contracts still about. 

IMHO it is always best letting the manufacturer handle faults rather than the networks who just farm things out to a repair organisation. I've seen some horror stories on here.

If you are on a two year contract and the phone is guaranteed only for 12 months there is always going to be problems

0 Kudos