Menu
stevehj1105
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone else suffered from Virgin blocking a sim free iPhone

I bought my wife an iPhone 6s while we were in the UK for Christmas and while there she used her Virgin sim.  We have now arrived back to Thailand were we live and the phone is blocked by Virgin for use by any other carrier.  This practice was completely unknown to me and was not explained by the retailer who sold me the iPhone.  I feel it must be illegal for Virgin to put claim to property that does not belong to them but before I take legal action I would like to know whether any one has over come this problem without resorting to "jailbreaking" tactics that would void our Apple warranty.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated otherwise Virgin I will see you in court.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone else suffered from Virgin blocking a sim free iPhone

So you are threatening to take a large American corporation to court in Thailand ? Good luck with that.

Most phones sold in the UK are locked to one provider or another. There is nothing illegal about it in UK or international law. The common perception is that ALL phones are locked unless stated otherwise. That's why some are billed as "sim free" so people knows those ones are unlocked.

Its unfortunate, for sure, illegal not so much.

Your contract is with the retailer, not VM so its really them you need to approach.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hasn't it always been like that - a retail sim-free iPhone will lock itself to the first network sim inserted ?.

Only iphones brought direct from Apple are truly sim-free.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stevehj1105
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Kippies obviously works for Virgin. To put the facts straight my legal case will be in the UK as that is where I purchased the phone. The illegality is in the fact an asset that I have full ownership rights of is being controlled by Virgin without my legal consent. The retailer could not have been aware of this fact but if they are aware this is happening then I trust the legal system will act accordingly.
0 Kudos
stevehj1105
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just to be clear the retailer could not have been aware Virgin were involved because I bought it from them as a sim free phone with no carrier involved. So Kippies if it is sim free how can Virgin now dictate I can only use them?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi stevehj1105

See my post above.

If that is the case, the retailer did know about it. Maybe it should be Apple you should be venting at.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stevehj1105
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Dear Teabag

This is not a vent, it is trying to put right what is wrong and the more I think about the issue the more it seems Apple, Virgin and Currys PC World are culpable. All I am asking for is freedom to use my phone with which ever carrier I chose which has to be my legal right. Given Virgin are currently in control of my phone they have a duty to assist with removing their restriction. Virgin have to inform Apple that there is no contract in place between me and them so the restriction can be removed.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

BTW I dont work for Virgin Mobile and have no relationship with them.

I DO however possess access to googles homepage and 5 seconds of research on there shows that Teabag is exactly right.

Purchase a sim free Iphone at retail anywhere other then directly from Apple and it locks itself to the first network you insert a SIM for. Its done what its supposed to do, as supplied.

So basically its between you and VM whether you can get an unlock code supplied and whether it will work when you are outside the UK.

Empty threats of legal action will not help either party, but if that's the road you want to take, work away.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

stevehj1105 wrote:
Dear Teabag

This is not a vent, it is trying to put right what is wrong and the more I think about the issue the more it seems Apple, Virgin and Currys PC World are culpable. All I am asking for is freedom to use my phone with which ever carrier I chose which has to be my legal right. Given Virgin are currently in control of my phone they have a duty to assist with removing their restriction. Virgin have to inform Apple that there is no contract in place between me and them so the restriction can be removed.

I do feel for you, especially when it's all down to Apple playing the monopoly game by forcing the lock to first network used.

With Virgin Mobile being a mvno to EE, it could also be possible that the phone has locked itself to the parent network -EE, if that's the case, I'm not sure if Virgin are able to help.  Not news you wanted to hear :-( 

Hope you manage to get this sorted OK and quickly, keep us updated.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hasn't it always been like that - a retail sim-free iPhone will lock itself to the first network sim inserted ?. Only iphones brought direct from Apple are truly sim-free.
I do fully appreciate where you are coming from and I can understand your frustration You are correct with this that all iPhones come network unlocked and then lock to the first sim that's entered in to this. Regardless of where its purchased from. ( direct through apple as well ) Its not just Virgin as a network that make this decision . Its down to apple. It wouldn't matter if you placed a o2 sim card for example in the phone. It would still lock to o2. This is down to how Apple have designed their software in the phone. As also previously mentioned. Its not illegal to network lock any handset. This has been around for many years and networks are entitled to do this.
Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos