Menu
dreye
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hard locked phone - ZTE KIS 3 Max

Morning all,

My daughter has been given a ZTE KIS Max3 by her grandad.  Messing about with it she appears to have hard locked it.

As a consequence the phone does not give me the option to type in the Network Unlock Code (already purchased) to use the phone on Giff Gaff rather than Virgin. 

The phone is in working order as I can access it and have tested it using a virgin PAYG Sim.

Any help would be grateful received as she is driving me crazy! 

Thanks

David

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Hard locked phone - ZTE KIS 3 Max

It's possible that it can't be unlocked - according to this page:

If your phone can be unlocked your network will give you a quote for a code. It is also possible that your phone can't be unlocked, but your network can at least tell you that, and save you trying to find a code elsewhere. 

However it's more likely that you've used up your five unlock attempts and will have to contact Virgin again - from the same page:

...pop in a SIM card for any network other than the one to which your phone is locked. You'll be prompted to put in your code. You may be in luck and be able to use your normal qwerty keyboard, but more likely you'll be able to input only numbers in this way and the letters will require you to use multiple presses of the * and # keys. (You will get only five attempts to enter the correct code, but getting it wrong won't brick your phone. It will just mean that you have to take it back to the network to get it unlocked). 

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I think you'll need to put the VM SIM back in and get the PUK code from the My Account website.

0 Kudos
dreye
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The thing is it doesn't provide me with the option to unlock it even when I have the code.  It simply says Sim slot blocked.

Its entering the code, not the code itself that is causing the issue.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Are you getting that message with both SIMs or just the GiffGaff SIM?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Also, is the phone empty or is there anything on it that you need to keep?

0 Kudos
dreye
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Sim is fine, any other Sim, Giff Gaff, Vodafone, Three present the same issue.

I have already done a hard reset too - so nothing on the phone I need to keep.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So the phone works fine with the Virgin SIM in it - have you tried entering the unlock code you bought from Virgin while the Virgin SIM is in the phone?

0 Kudos
dreye
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It doesn't give you the option to enter the unlock code.  Even with the Virgin Sim in it. 

When putting another Sim in it says "The slot has been permanently locked" but clearly it hasn't as the Virgin Sim works. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's possible that it can't be unlocked - according to this page:

If your phone can be unlocked your network will give you a quote for a code. It is also possible that your phone can't be unlocked, but your network can at least tell you that, and save you trying to find a code elsewhere. 

However it's more likely that you've used up your five unlock attempts and will have to contact Virgin again - from the same page:

...pop in a SIM card for any network other than the one to which your phone is locked. You'll be prompted to put in your code. You may be in luck and be able to use your normal qwerty keyboard, but more likely you'll be able to input only numbers in this way and the letters will require you to use multiple presses of the * and # keys. (You will get only five attempts to enter the correct code, but getting it wrong won't brick your phone. It will just mean that you have to take it back to the network to get it unlocked).