Menu
Ruizzoak
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

HOAX message to collect a photo video message

I'm concerned that someone who states they have not sent a picture or video at all, from my telephone address list, appears to be sending me a me a Video/Photo message. I believe I may have been sent a hoax message because the person who my phone is saying the video/photo message is from, denies sending any such photo message.

on Friday 19th August at 20.57 I received the following message

"A Photo/Video message was sent to you but couldn;t be delivered. A notification on how to view this message will follow shortly your password is ########"

A second message sent at the same time said, I've sent you a Virgin Photo/Video Message. Go to https://virgin.mms.ee.co.uk/virgin/ your messge is valid for 7 days

I then visited the website but when it asked me to enter my phone number and password this made me suspicious and even though the Virgin Logo appeared on the website I did not continue with accessing the link.

I contacted the supposed sender who confirmed she had not sent me a photograph or video and I suggested she change the passwords on her phone just to be on the safe side - she uses an iPhone

On the 22nd August at 12.01 I received another message apparently from this friend which she also denies sending, which read.

"I've sent you a Virgin Photo/Video Message. Go to https://virgin.mms.ee.co.uk/virgin/ your messge is valid for 7 days"

This time, there is no second text with a password. 

I have never collected MMS from the Virgin website because of the associated charges and I am not willing to pay their fees, when people can send me photo's on other social media for free. I'm now alarmed that someone who states they have not sent a picture or video at all, from my telephone address book appears to be sending me a me a Video/Photo message

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HOAX message to collect a photo video message

I applaud your caution, it's always a good policy.
In this case the message is genuine. The web address is the correct one for viewing undelivered mms messages (the password to use is the one sent in the text message) and there is no cost in accessing messages on that site beyond the normal data usage costs of your connection method.

Of course, whether the message is actually from your friend or some sort of spam is another matter.

It's not necessarily a photo, probably just a text message that the senders phone converted to mms, maybe because it was long or sent to a large group or it includes an emoticon sent as a picture. Your friend might want to check they are not going over their mms allowance (if any) and incurring charges.

All Replies
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I applaud your caution, it's always a good policy.
In this case the message is genuine. The web address is the correct one for viewing undelivered mms messages (the password to use is the one sent in the text message) and there is no cost in accessing messages on that site beyond the normal data usage costs of your connection method.

Of course, whether the message is actually from your friend or some sort of spam is another matter.

It's not necessarily a photo, probably just a text message that the senders phone converted to mms, maybe because it was long or sent to a large group or it includes an emoticon sent as a picture. Your friend might want to check they are not going over their mms allowance (if any) and incurring charges.
Ruizzoak
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

I have checked the weblink and it seems genuine although it's just a string of our texts to each other from last week - no idea what's going on there but it seems to be OK - thanks for the reassurances. I am always cautious I must admit - I work personal information so the words Data Protection are never far from my thoughts when something unexplained like this happens.

Your help is very much appreciated

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos