Menu
Bel1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

HELP! NO INTERNET ABROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, I am currently on holiday in Ireland! I have purchased a 10MB Travel Pass and received confirmation that this is Active! I text Status to 23456 which also confirmed that the Pass is Active! so why then can I NOT CONNECT to the Internet??? any Idea's on this please folks. My Phone is set up for roaming.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: HELP! NO INTERNET ABROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Bel1,

I want to get this all sorted for you Smiley Happy What phone are you using currently?

Let me know as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Bel1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mat,
My phone is a Nokia X6-00
Thanks
Bel1
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bel1

Thanks for getting back in touch with that information.

Just to double-check, does the data work correctly for you on this handset when you're in the UK?

If it does, it might be that we've not got the Data Roaming feature enabled on your account to allow you to connect to the internet when abroad.

So we can check into this, just give us a call on +447953967967 and we'll get it set up for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
thebes_tone
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Dear Mat H

The forum team seems to be doing its best to resolve people's issues on this, but there is obviously a problem here specific to Virgin data roaming, one which from the evidence in various forums seems to have been ongoing for quite some time.

The problem seems to occur on a number of different phone models, and on a number of different networks, as well as in a number of different countries. And the only common denominator does seem to be Virgin.

I suggest :-

1. Virgin techies need to find out what the problem is

2. Virgin should refund, without question, money spent on this in good faith - has to be worthwhile as a good will gesture, surely, even if Virgin don't admit liability?

I appreciate this isn't within your domain,and I don't expect a response from you, but it's got to be in everyone's interest for the problem to be resolved and in the meantime for customers to be compensated. Great if you can pass this on

Kind Regards

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi thebes_tone,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

Roaming is something that we always keep a close eye on. We want to make sure our customers can use their phone abroad.

The main problem caused is that before travelling, our customers will need to call us on 789 or 0345 6000 789 to enable roaming/ data roaming. This will allow us to process the service adjustment and make sure that you can roam.

We're unable to guarantee that roaming will work abroad. If the phone is enabled for roaming, this will then be down to the network you're roaming on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
NewConny
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Mat,

I am afraid that your answers are simply not good enough. I have a Samsung Galaxy phone, and I have not ONCE been able to connect to the internet using a travel pass. I am a scientist (hence not entirely stupid) travel a lot professionally and used to be with T-Mobile, but I switched to Virgin because we also have TV and broadband from you. I cannot count how often I have phoned 789 or the VERY expensive longer number from abroad. I have set up the phone for roaming (at the least I was told that it was), I have taken out and put back SIM card, battery and what not. Nothing works. I bought a travel pass just recently - no luck. I never had these problems with my other provider, and I can only agree with the previous poster that this problem is Virgin specific.

You service is awful and I feel that I am being ripped off, as I also have accrued high phone charges when trying to solve the problem. You need to do something about this, because I can tell you that I will immediately get out of this contract once it runs out.

Conny

consolbob
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

While you are at it, you can deal with mine as well. I use a Nokia 520, so does my wife. I bought travel passes for both of us while we were in greece. Neither phone worked, just as they didn't last year, despite my spending a long time trying to sort it out. last year you managed to do it on the day I came home. This year I am home but my wife is still abroad.

What is the problem with Virgin when you travel?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi consolbob,

I've replied to your other post here.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
SimonF15
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Any answer for the other comments. It appears there is a problem for those of us who have done all the right things, yet still cannot connect to data. The response of it must be down to the local network doesn't hack it, especially where we are connected to one of your partners. It should work!
0 Kudos