Menu
gregXX
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Group text treated as mms

Fair enough, you do provide the service, but from customer service I would expect a bit more effort and some actual support and advice of how to use it effectively using current technology. The issue is not new. Both consultants were absolutely certain of were the problem was and I also found some posts on this forum talking about the same issue. 

I went through the manuals for my mobile and didn't find any suggestion that the group text may be converted into MMS. What's more Virgin FAQ pages say the same, basically select more recipients and send, there is no suggestion that these messages may incur any additional charges:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1003&PARTITION_ID=1&secureFl...

There even are handset-specific manuals on you website and they also fail to mention that.

Because of all that I feel that Virgin is knowingly hiding the extra charges that may be incurred and I expect a refund of money for that service. I am on contract with unlimited text messages and refuse to pay more than twice my monthly tarrif for few texts. I would also hope for some actual advice on how to configure the phone, lumia 630, so that it was sending group texts as texts, not MMS. I found some suggestions online, but am not prepared to pay any more for experimenting myself. 

From a company providing a service I expect some knowledge on how to use this service instead of just saying 'it's not our problem'.

Apologies for such a long post on forum but Virgin, a media company, doesn't provide email support.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Group text treated as mms

Its your hand set and choice of messaging app that determines this behaviour. Not VM's network.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Depending on your handset, texts of a certain length and/or to more than a certain number of recipients and/or containing anything more than the simplest emoticons will be converted to MMS.

It's not something that I was aware of until my handset told me it was converting a message to MMS. I had to do a bit of investigation as to why this was happening - but I was already aware that MMS would incur a charge despite never having had the need to send one.

What you need to ask yourself is how much extra are you willing to pay for your contract to be sure that every member of staff has had full training in the capabilities of every handset that is offered?

Your expectation is unrealistic. There is no mobile carrier out there who would have pre-warned you that the handset you've chosen converts group (or whatever) texts to MMS. This observation comes from someone who has family experience of Virgin Mobile, Giff Gaff, Three, O2 and Vodafone.

I'm no apologist for Virgin. Occasionally, the level of knowledge of some of their call centre staff is frankly embarrassing. However, your expectation of their knowledge is not reasonable (in my opinion) and reminds me of the advert for the Rover car from a dozen or so years ago - where the proud new owner gets it home and realises it's too big to fit in his garage. Whose fault is it?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You should be able to find a Group SMS app in the Windows Phone Store that will allow you to compose a single SMS message but send it to multiple people without it being converted to a MMS message.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
gregXX
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You may be right about knowledge level that should be expected from staff, nevertheless it's rather common practice to build and maintain internal knowledge base that can be referred to by support. What's more Virgin already maintains their own pages with handset specific guides, including my phone.

The fact that no other provider gives such information doesn't mean it's OK.

Using your Rover advert analogy it's more as like the manufacturer saying 'just add some fuel and drive' without saying whether it's petrol or diesel and if you pick the wrong but one it's your fault because they make different engines and how should they know which be you bought.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

gregXX wrote:

You may be right about knowledge level that should be expected from staff, nevertheless it's rather common practice to build and maintain internal knowledge base that can be referred to by support. What's more Virgin already maintains their own pages with handset specific guides, including my phone.

The fact that no other provider gives such information doesn't mean it's OK.

Using your Rover advert analogy it's more as like the manufacturer saying 'just add some fuel and drive' without saying whether it's petrol or diesel and if you pick the wrong but one it's your fault because they make different engines and how should they know which be you bought.

Windows phone had a 2.7 % market share at the end of 2014. Its not a viable commercial proposition to support it (at this point) even at the level of maintaining a knowledge base, never mind training staff.

To go back to the car analogy, If you bought a Delorean would you expect expert engine support from your petrol supplier?

You really need to be talking to your handsets manufacturer for support as its specific to THEIR handset and THEIR OS, unless you have moved from the default messaging app. In which case it would be the app developer you should be talking to.

0 Kudos
gregXX
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If petrol supplier was also selling these cars and providing support for them, then I would expect advice from them on pretty basic issue, obviously.

I will contact Nokia, but am still bitter about Virgin approach. My previous providers did try to troubleshoot and advice on the best settings. Windows market share doesn't really matter here, because no one asked me what phone I have. 

0 Kudos
defected_sound
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks so much for this post. I am on the unlimited tariff to and I was going to send the same text to a number of people so I called the 789 and was told  that yes I would be charged 40p per extra person that I sent the extra message to! So only way around it is to send it all individually.

I think it is shocking that VM does not seem to advertise this extra charge anywhere.

0 Kudos
gregXX
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

After some searching I found the following on Nokia's FAQ:

By default the SMS messages are not converted but in some phone variants the conversion of long SMS messages to MMS may take place (e.g. if the fragmented SMS messages not supported in the operator network or the costs for sending several SMS messages would be higher than sending a single MMS message).

So which one is it, Virgin? A mobile phone feature, or Virgin converting these texts to MMS?
I would be surprised if Virgin was doing that, but thinking of it now, one of the people I was talking to mentioned something about group text message being possibly longer than 150characters and hence being converted.

I never had a problem with long texts in 15+ years of using mobiles with different providers and handsets. They were always split into several messages, so would be rather surprised if that was the case.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

gregXX wrote:
So which one is it, Virgin? A mobile phone feature, or Virgin converting these texts to MMS?

It's a phone feature. Samsung Android phones (and probably other Android phones) do the same thing.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/58707/send-sms-instead-of-mms-when-texting-multiple-peopl...

SMS doesn't actually support multiple recipients as far as I'm aware, so when the phones do 'support' it, they are in fact just sending the same text in individual messages.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos