Menu
Bella28
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Google Play Services Not working

I have a Samsung Galaxy A3 on a contract (taken out in Jan 2016).

For the last 3 months I keep getting 'google play services not working' flash up on the screen constantly. Through the call centre I was advised to perform a factory reset, which I did but within a few days the error messages started again. Also the screen gets 'stuck'  resetting its self and app's randomly stop working.

Went to store where the contract was taken out and was unhelpfully told that they cannot do anything to help as I didn't take out the insurance for the phone (apparently if I had the insurance they would simply swap the phone for a new one? wasn't aware insurance covered manufacture faults and I have insurance with my current account so didn't need it).

So, I would need to get in touch with the call centre who would arrange to send phone to Samsung. I would be left with no phone and still expected to pay the bill for however long it takes to get the faulty phone repaired.

Called the call centre (I absolutely hate the call centre, so unhelpful) as suspected told to perform factory reset, again! and that I need to create a new google account. No, I just want a phone that works.

Lesson I have learnt - should have kept my SIM only deal with EE. Should not have three mobiles, broadband, T.V and landline with the same provider. Soon to be corrected.

Will pay off the mobile that doesn't work and cancel tariff (the store did advise I could do this) whilst seeking consumer advice.

Disappointed, expected more. Why have stores when they can't do anything?! save customers money and close them.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Google Play Services Not working

When in January did you buy it, and when did you take it to the store?

Under the new consumer rights rules, Virgin are obliged to fix the problem. If they can't, they are obliged to replace or refund. They are not entitled to "dock" any money from a refund as you're still within the first six months of your contract, so the fault is assumed to be there since manufacture.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Google Play Services Not working

When in January did you buy it, and when did you take it to the store?

Under the new consumer rights rules, Virgin are obliged to fix the problem. If they can't, they are obliged to replace or refund. They are not entitled to "dock" any money from a refund as you're still within the first six months of your contract, so the fault is assumed to be there since manufacture.

0 Kudos
Bella28
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This has been going on for about 3 months got the phone f...

This has been going on for about 3 months got the phone from store 12th Jan. Spoken to call centre twice and went to store this week. The call centre are not forth coming in offering a repair or admitting a fault and keep fobbing me off with technical advice and the store have seen the phone and acknowledge that there is a fault but won't do anything and simply refer me back to the call centre. In the meantime my phone hardly works. grrrrrrrrr - your advice is useful and I will now insist on some action. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: This has been going on for about 3 months got the phone f...

Get a screen shot of the call log when you rang the call centre. It will count as evidence should you try to pursue this.

Better still - ring them again before 12th June and record the call using ACR or similar. Obviously, you might have to do this from someone else's phone if Play Store isn't working on yours. Make sure you tell them you're following up on earlier calls. You do not have to mention that you're recording the call.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bella28,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're getting the dreaded Google Play services not working error message.

It would appear you're not alone when it comes to the error. I've done a quick Google search and found some sites that may be of help here and here. I must stress that any advice you follow is at your own risk.

I appreciate how frustrating this is because I get the exact same error message. It doesn't bother me personally and I've never pursued it any further. I've got a Samsung Galaxy S5 running on Android 5.0 so if the help above is anything to go by then updating the firmware may very well cure the issue.

I'd be very keen to hear the outcome of this. If it works, I may get round to fixing mine too. Let me know how it all goes.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Far better to get Virgin to fix the problem so that it's at their risk, not yours.

You've had it less than six months. You are well within your rights to demand a full refund.
0 Kudos