Menu
Sangoma
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Goodbye Virgin

I can find nothing to suggest to other people that they join Virgin.

I agree with the comments in other places about the abysmal service.

Now my daughter has just run up a £200 bill, as she changed phones and forgot to install the app that told her how much she had used.

Virgin of course think they are very clever by not providing a means to cap costs, or to prevent any costs over what the package gives.

No doubt they would laugh if they read this, as it is exactly what they hope for.

Not only is it a huge amount, but has also revealed that virgin call costs to other networks are more than 4 times what I pay on GiffGaff.

I will of course write to OFCOM complaining about the lack of facility to cap charges, knowing full well it won't do anything for me, however, the total number of complaints received by OFCOM is an important figure, especially when it is a large figure!

0 Kudos
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Goodbye Virgin

Yikes £200 sorry to hear that must have been one huge shock however Virgin Mobile do not have to have capped contracts you also knew this before you signed up no matter who it was for, It is also not the fault of Virgin Mobile that your daughter forgot to install an app on another handset so although I understand the shock this has nothing to do with Virgin Mobile, You mentioned Giff Gaff another MVNO well they do offer good value but the lack of customer services and always a poor signal lets it down oh and whilst I am here check out Post Office mobile £5 for 250 mins unlimited sms and 500mb data and the mins are second to second not to the nearest minuet like most of the networks now which is a big rip off all mins should be second by second 

0 Kudos
Sangoma
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I was not aware that we could not limit the expenditure, maybe the info was there, but I do find their T&C to be hard to extract the facts from.

It is virgin's fault in that they offer no control over expenditure.

Virgin used to be innovators, and lead the way in being in touch with customer needs, and not being one of the rip off merchants.

That is how RB built his empire, unfortunately I have been buying from virgin for over 4 decades, and my feeling of trust started from the early days.

I have now been woken up to the fact that they are sharks just like the rest, and Virgin does not operate the same way, with the same policies and attitudes as it started.

Quite a wake up call Smiley Happy

GiffGaff uses the O2 network, I have never had any problems with signal, in fact just the opposite.

I have never had any problems with their customer service, and on the odd problem, they have gone out of their way to sort things out.

Phoning my family in two countries overseas costs me 1/20 of the same calls on virgin.

When what I have paid for finishes, it stops working until I load it, does  not run up silly costs!

No, Virgin can not give a desirable service, I will probably swallow and cancel the virgin contracts early.

They tell me they can't even disable the sim cards, how totally stupid and useless is that???? Even if you cut the card up, you can still incur costs?

They have learnt how to extract maximum cash with cleverly written T&C, the complete opposite to the honest and open policies they built the name on.

I can't imagine RB supporting the way their business is now done, I can only assume he no longer has control (he used to have control of all he operated) or age has caught up with him.

0 Kudos
cruising
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For many years I have thought that the VM tariff for all services should be more transparent in order for the customer to be able to see what can be taken off or added on. When dealing with Customer Services there are a lot of strange discounts/reductions/add ons that are mysteriously bundled up into a "package". They appear to have individual lives that each call centre operator interprets differently. Very frustrating not actually knowing the cost of each item. Like going to a supermarket and getting a total bill with no items listed! To leave VM or not to leave VM ....how green is the grass on the other side of the fence though?

jhuk
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Running up a bill is the users fault not VM's esp if you swap phones and do not install an App or such.

Same goes for a bar bill or any bill.

Does not surprise me with kids today who are grafted to their phones (not only kids TBH).

0 Kudos
Craigyh74
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why are so many people quick to blame others for their inability to control their own expenditure Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Sangoma
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I agree, but the biggest thing you could blame me for is for being stupid enough to believe the gormless CS staff member who told me there was parental control that would give me full control over how the kids used the phones.

Unfortunately, by the time the phones were presented as gifts, and the snag was discovered, it was too late to do anything about it, though I did try.

I blame them for not having the simple to implement facility to stop over package expenditure, which is obviously a very nice feature for them as it enables people to get caught in this way.

As I said, it is goodbye virgin, and no matter how many "holier than thou" clever dicks say otherwise, that is how I feel, and quite a few other people too when it is pointed out.

I think it is wrong for virgin to knowingly expose people to this kind of thing, when it is so simple to actually give people control and they choose not to. It makes virgin contracts quite unsuitable for this kind of use.

So, for the clever people who do everything right all the time, ( I don't believe that, they just talk that way) fine, but for the average person who wants to get their kids a phone, don't go virgin

0 Kudos
Magz
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Wow, so you post obviously expecting everyone to be on your side with this but when they aren't you brand them 'holier than thou clever dicks' how nice!

you openly admit you/your daughter didn't install an app and clearly you would have known you hadn't set any spending limits anywhere. Just because a provider doesn't offer a service exactly how you want it is not their fault, you as the customer make the choice whether to accept what they do offer or go elsewhere.

Maybe next time I pop to the shop just to get bread and milk and end up spending £50, I'll blame tesco for not stopping me?! It's the same as people who blame traffic wardens when they get a parking ticket even though they knew they were parked illegally!

I don't mean to sound rude but for goodness sake, for once this is not virgins error. Yes it was a mistake and a costly one but we all make them (I made a very similar one years ago with another provider, I think lots probably have) so own it and move on and don't be rude to others just because they don't agree with you!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well said

0 Kudos
Craigyh74
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's not a case of being  "holier than thou", it's a case of just sucking it up, an error was made. Just as a side note, you don't need an app to tell you when your close to your limit, most smartphones (I'm assuming its an android phone) have built in data monitors which you can set warnings on for when your close to using all of your allowance

0 Kudos