Menu
schizophonic
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Going aboard with my new virgin sim but have questions

I'm a new customer to virgin and have a question about my account settings.  I'm going away this weekend aboard and I've just switched on 'roaming' which allows my phone to be used aboard.

As I switched it on, I noticed my 4G data not working, I reselected my APN settings (nothing changed) and scanned network to check and still no local data is available for use.  

Is that 'roaming' option really only to be used on the day you leave the UK?  It doesn't make sense to me as if I have this optioned enabled and I forget to change my settings from my Virgin Account, I'm stuck with no data.  

I've checked my phone settings over and over again and am clued up with phones so I think its all relating to something on my virgin account.  

Any advise?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Going aboard with my new virgin sim but have questions

Is this contract? Because new customers are not usually allowed to roam till they have been with Virgin around 3 months. Often they will require a deposit.

If I was you I would check this out with 789 first.

0 Kudos
schizophonic
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the info, it wasn't made clear and never seen that statement before.  I'll give them a call tonight or tomorrow.  

Yes I signed up in January with my sim only contract.  

Anyone else been in the same position as me and tried to activate data roaming in their first 3 months?

0 Kudos
schizophonic
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Right, just an update which might help others.  

On the day I travel out of the uk, I called up Virgin and I advised them of my situation and my current settings on my virgin online profile, he checked my account and said my phone wasn't active for roaming usage which I found strange.  I tried to explain to him about my data disappearing when I switched the roaming online myself and he couldn't really answer why.  Anyway 10 mins into the conversation and he turn on the roaming settings for my account and after ending the conversation I still had data!

I went away and switched on my phone and checked and I had signal!  So it all worked.  I didn't try the roaming data because I know it can cost many £££ for a few MBs but trust its all working now.

Also I explained to him about the 'tariff' situation as mentioned above and he explained to me I wasn't in that criteria so I didn't have to worry.  I think its just for people who are on a low credit score when they sign up a new tariffs they dont allow certain customers racking a huge bill and not paying it.  

So in summary, if you've got a new account with Virgin, dont switch on roaming on your 'MyVirgin' profile, call customer services and they can do it for you.  Whats online doesn't reflect fully what they see on their system.

0 Kudos
megmac1
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I called 789 before I left the UK and was assured that roaming for phone calls and texts was switched on. It did not work when I arrived abroad. I rang a number suggested on this forum from someone else's phone. 31 minutes later he had activated the roaming - he said. Still did not work. Rang again. 13 minutes later the call taker said the supervisor would ring me back. Some chance as the phone still does not work over a month later. I am here for work until the summer and my uk employer needs to contact me. I have had to buy a local phone & SIM. What a shambles Virgin Mobile customer service is.
0 Kudos