Menu
terrynorth
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Going Blind

Hi, I found out on Monday im going blind due to diabetes I just thought my sight was going abit anyway it was getting harder for me to see the phone screen and will need an rnib recommended phone would I be able to cancel my contract (ends in August) early with out a charge?.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Going Blind

SamKnows wrote:

No

I think this is probably the most helpful answer I have ever seen on this forum !

Personally, I would have advised he call customer services and explain the problem rather than dismiss it out of hand, but then that's me ....

Customer services can only say no, but then again ....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

terrynorth wrote:
Hi, I found out on Monday im going blind due to diabetes I just thought my sight was going abit anyway it was getting harder for me to see the phone screen and will need an rnib recommended phone would I be able to cancel my contract (ends in August) early with out a charge?.

If I were "terrynorth" reading some of these replies I would be wondering what kind of world I was living in. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in working age adults. With good control of blood glucose levels and regular eye screening its effects are normally preventable and there are treatments to alleviate the most common of the two effects (retinopathy and retinal detachment) if they are caught early enough. I do hope that "terrynorth" is getting the right sort of ophthalmic care now to help him deal with the issue. 

His question is entirely  practical one and should have been answered in an entirely practical way.  The answer is (as some have suggested) that we don't know what VM would do in these circumstances.  The only sensible thing to do is to ask.  And the BBC will reduce the licence fee for people whose sight is so poor as to prevent them from seeing the screen. Audio description is also added to programmes to improve the TV experience for people with vision loss.

I'm not asking people to be compassionate or express gushing sympathy.  That is not what disabled people need or want. I would just hope that they could express themselves in a way which does not clearly cause additional  distress or over-exaggerate the financial effects on large corporations of behaving flexibly in these circumstances.

And before anyone asks - I have type 2 diabetes, with no effects on my eyesight at present. And I also have considerable experience of disability issues in my former capacity as a policy maker.  

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
SamKnows
Super solver
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SamKnows wrote:

No

I think this is probably the most helpful answer I have ever seen on this forum !

Personally, I would have advised he call customer services and explain the problem rather than dismiss it out of hand, but then that's me ....

Customer services can only say no, but then again ....

0 Kudos
terrynorth
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Right thank you for that. Ill just call CS and ask they may be more friendly. Thanks andyju
0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

theyll ask you to pay either way the value of the handset minamum most likely the full amount, whilst im sorry for whats happening the company isnt going to lose money regardless of the situation.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

And yet in the company I work for, we offer customer support and care!

In my opinion, this is no different to all the loyalty discounts being banded around at the moment - Virgin must be losing money over them just to keep the customer happy, so this situation could easily be resolved with the four month left of a contract  termination. I'd be interested to hear the outcome though

In my opinion .....

0 Kudos
SamKnows
Super solver
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You see sob stories all the time,

A lot of which are over exaggerated, now I'm not saying this is but you enter a contract why should the company lose money because of something happening to you? No doubt a cost that is passed on in yearly price increases to ALL customers if they do allow you out of contract, I don't want to pay extra because of you, I'm not heartless but I do live in the real world.

Wil you be emailing the BBC to ask for a semi refund on your TV license as you won't be able to see the TV anymore?

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ok - we will agree to disagree, but as I said, people claiming "loyalty discounts" must also be costing Virgin money that is passed onto people like me who have none ....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

terrynorth wrote:

If I were "terrynorth" reading some of these replies I would be wondering what kind of world I was living in. Diabetes is the leading cause of blindness in working age adults. With good control of blood glucose levels and regular eye screening its effects are normally preventable and there are treatments to alleviate the most common of the two effects (retinopathy and retinal detachment) if they are caught early enough. I do hope that "terrynorth" is getting the right sort of ophthalmic care now to help him deal with the issue. 

His question is entirely  practical one and should have been answered in an entirely practical way.  The answer is (as some have suggested) that we don't know what VM would do in these circumstances.  The only sensible thing to do is to ask.  And the BBC will reduce the licence fee for people whose sight is so poor as to prevent them from seeing the screen. Audio description is also added to programmes to improve the TV experience for people with vision loss.

I'm not asking people to be compassionate or express gushing sympathy.  That is not what disabled people need or want. I would just hope that they could express themselves in a way which does not clearly cause additional  distress or over-exaggerate the financial effects on large corporations of behaving flexibly in these circumstances.

And before anyone asks - I have type 2 diabetes, with no effects on my eyesight at present. And I also have considerable experience of disability issues in my former capacity as a policy maker.  

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
terrynorth
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I wish I was ober exaggerating "the sob Story" and I did not know about the tv license. Also as I have people in the house who can see I shall not be asking for the discount on it I am not planning on milking any system. The phone is my own personal use I was simply asking as I will need a different phone. Which the rnib recommend and to Sam I truly hope nothing like this happens to you or youre family like this.