Menu
Chrisitme
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Getting premium texts and calls to your phone blocked

We have been conned by MintedMobi masquerading as Morrisons Supermarket into receiving premium texts at £4.50 each , it looks like we have received about 10 of these . I tried to find help on the Virgin pages and this was not helpful at all . I went to MSE and Which and followed their advice to text Stop All to the sender . I have done this today and am waiting to see if it has worked but Which says;

You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone.

Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number. 

I want to do this but can find no way to ask Virgin to do this , can anyone tell me how to do this?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting premium texts and calls to your phone blocked

Chrisitme wrote:

You can ask your phone network provider to bar all premium rate calls or texts from being made from your phone.

Simply contact your provider and ask them to set this bar for your phone number. 

I want to do this but can find no way to ask Virgin to do this , can anyone tell me how to do this?

Hi Chrisitme,

indeed you can. You can do it yourself by logging into your account then click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services" and "Premium call barring" is there.

However this won't help you with this problem.

You aren't making the calls, you are receiving them (texts).

You have done the correct thing by texting back "STOP" or “STOP ALL” to (hopefully) end the service.

Also try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly.

Or use this site: PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services.

Once you have the contact information you can try and ask for a refund as you have "subscribed" accidentally.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting premium texts and calls to your phone blocked

Chrisitme wrote:

Hi Chrisitme,

indeed you can. You can do it yourself by logging into your account then click on  the "Plan and device" tab.

Go to "Manage my services" and "Premium call barring" is there.

However this won't help you with this problem.

You aren't making the calls, you are receiving them (texts).

You have done the correct thing by texting back "STOP" or “STOP ALL” to (hopefully) end the service.

Also try entering the number into EE's Third Party Services Checker to see if that gives you contact information for the company and contact them directly.

Or use this site: PhonepayPlus. They are the UK regulator for premium rate services.

Once you have the contact information you can try and ask for a refund as you have "subscribed" accidentally.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.