Menu
oldteddybear
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Getting pay as you go nano-SIM without a UK address?

Is it possible to get a pay as you go nano-SIM without a UK address?  I've had a Virgin Mobile number for around 10 years now with a full size SIM originally.  When phones went to micro-SIMs, I was able to cut the original full size SIM to a micro-SIM.  But, now, with most LTE phones going to nano-SIMs, I'm doubtful that I can cut the SIM down to the nano-SIM since the contact area would be severely cut because it was an old full size SIM.  Also, it's thicker than a nano-SIM so it would have to be "sanded" thinner.

After going into a Virgin store in London, I was informed that they would not be able to provide me a nano-SIM to which I could transfer my current number.  I was informed that I would have to call customer service and have it mailed to me.  Unfortunately, I live in the US and don't have a UK address.  Is there any possible way for me to obtain a nano-SIM with my current Virgin number?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting pay as you go nano-SIM without a UK address?

Ahh you see there's your problem right there...you dont fit the script...

Do you have a friend/relative in the UK you could get it sent to? As its PAYG and no contract is involved, you wont need any proof of address.

0 Kudos
oldteddybear
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately, I don't actually have any close friends or relatives in the UK currently.  I do have one or two colleagues with my company with whom I have worked based in the UK.  However, I'm a bit hesitant to ask them for assistance yet as I don't know what information would be required from Virgin and the amount of time it would take them to step through the process on the phone with customer service.  If it is a fairly simple and straightforward call, then I would be more comfortable with asking one of them to help me with getting the new nano-SIM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As I don't work for VM, I could not tell you how simple or complicated the process is.  To be blunt I am a bit surprised the shop did not offer to order it in for you to be collected in store. That would make too much sense though.

I kind of envisaged you doing the ordering and just telling them you live at the address agreed with friend/family, or in your case colleague, as they just need AN address to deliver to, we are not talking about a contract with the legal implications of giving an address. In which case the only hassle they would have is the SIM turning up at the door, and obviously getting it to you.

You can wait for staff to pick it up on here, but bluntly because yours is an unusual case, I don't know what advice they would be able to offer...

I suppose the other option is to pick up a new SIM in store and get the number transferred. That would work fine with most providers, but I have never done the process specifically with Virgin Mobile.

0 Kudos
oldteddybear
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The salesperson in the shop told me that they are not allowed to provide SIM replacements of existing accounts.  If I were to open a new pay as you go account, then they would be able to provide me a new SIM and new number.  In fact, I did inquire if I could buy a new SIM and then simply transfer my old number to it.  But, the salesperson was very unsure if that solution was possible so I declined to pursue it further.

As you said, my situation is fairly unique, but I was hoping to find a straightforward way to solve this issue.  I appreciate the suggestions though.  Meanwhile, it will be a few months until I'm back visiting the UK so I will keep checking to see if I can find a solution.

0 Kudos