Menu
BKN
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Getting billed for browser i haven't used

I started getting messages that my 250MB allowances were running out. This is on a second phone that I hardly use l and do not use the browser on at all. I've now been billed £47 for last month and it's happening again. I'm sure it's to do with some setting or other but I've had no warning of such and of course attempting to contact VM is a an deeply irritating waste of time. Guidance greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Getting billed for browser i haven't used

Hi BKN,

I assume this second phone is a "smartphone" ?

You should be aware that a number of Apps and the phones OS regularly update themselves.

Even when connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure. 

Background data is also often needed, weather, location, syncing with Google calendar e.t.c. (It should only be small amounts of data).

If you want to prevent this you can restrict background data in the phone's settings.

Or just turn off mobile data completely.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a few google apps (and other apps) then I'd check in the Play store settings, the one to change is: Settings, Auto update apps to do not auto update, as that can have a huge impact, alternative is to update on wifi only, but my impression is Google apps ignore that, but I may be wrong.

Also the location app if switched on may be the issue, adding location data to photos for instance, lots of apps access location data if allowed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to the other answers, your phone may come with free dropbox storage (or similar) which may be configured to upload photos automatically, even over mobile data.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi BKN,

I assume this second phone is a "smartphone" ?

You should be aware that a number of Apps and the phones OS regularly update themselves.

Even when connected to WIFI, when in standby your phone's WIFI may "go to sleep" as a battery saving measure. 

Background data is also often needed, weather, location, syncing with Google calendar e.t.c. (It should only be small amounts of data).

If you want to prevent this you can restrict background data in the phone's settings.

Or just turn off mobile data completely.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

BKN
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I had been told that turning off mobile data can disrupt other things but right now its allowing VM to rip me right off so off it goes.

In regard of updates in the background, if there's anything eating up 250MB in no time and carrying on to run up £47 a month I've had no warning of it. I want to get my money back off them as I haven't touched my phone settings and yet here I am... 

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you have a few google apps (and other apps) then I'd check in the Play store settings, the one to change is: Settings, Auto update apps to do not auto update, as that can have a huge impact, alternative is to update on wifi only, but my impression is Google apps ignore that, but I may be wrong.

Also the location app if switched on may be the issue, adding location data to photos for instance, lots of apps access location data if allowed.

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I forgot to add it's £2.00 each day you use date after the allocation is consumed Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Further to the other answers, your phone may come with free dropbox storage (or similar) which may be configured to upload photos automatically, even over mobile data.

0 Kudos
BKN
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just want to say a quick thanks for these replies. I guess right now i'll have to wait to see what VM say about getting my money back (couldn't get through to them today at all). To me, not telling new users there's a number of procedures in settings you're going to have to undertake in order to avoid whopping overcharges just seems like racketeering. I'll be on the lookout for others they've shafted like this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just so you know, there are NO mobile carriers in the UK that tell you in advance which phone settings might eat into your data. Virgin is not unique in this regard.
0 Kudos