Menu
jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Getting SIM working in borrowed phone

My S6 is going off for repair.

My cunning plan to keep myself online in the meantime was to borrow a Nokia Lumia Windows phone from work. The Nokia is not locked to any one provider, proof of which is that the phone app shows 'Virgin' in the bottom left corner.

However, I can't make or receive calls, nor send or receive text messages. I've rebooted the phone at least four times.

Talking to VM support suggested setting the Network Selection option from 'Automatic' to manual (i.e. let it scan for networks, then choose Virgin).

Still doesn't work. All i get when I try to make a call is "Beep! Beep! Beep!"

The VM support dude said he'd put me through to Technical Support...but after being on hold for a while, I got cut off.

When I rang back and explained the situation to the support staff member (which was a bit of a mission, as she got completely the wrong end of the stick!) she spoke to her supervisor who said I needed to speak to the provider of the phone as there's nothing wrong with the SIM. She said she'd tried sending a refresh but got not response.

I've not tried that yet, because I think they'll lose interest as soon as I tell them it's not one of their SIM cards.

Does anyone here have any other ideas of anything else I can do to get this working?

Or is something to do with the fact that the phone is 4G capable (but the SIM/Virgin network not)? I doubt this, as that's Mobile Data, rather than Mobile Phone signal, isn't it?

0 Kudos
jpjeffery
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting SIM working in borrowed phone

Mystery solved. The phone I was going to borrow is either faulty, or blocked. Proved it by swapping the SIMs between this Nokia and another. The known-to-be-working SIM from the other phone doesn't work in this phone, buy my VM SIM does work in the other phone.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Getting SIM working in borrowed phone

Hi jpjeffery,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear that your Samsung S6 has had to be sent off for repair again and that you've had problems getting your SIM to work with an alternative Nokia handset. I'm glad to hear that your SIM worked in a different handset.

Thanks for coming back to the Forum and sharing the result of this issue. I'm sure that this information will be useful to other Community members.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos