Menu
JohnLowrie
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Genuine offer from Virgin or another scam?

I have shared for many years a Virgin pay-as-go mobile service with my Mother as she is elderly and not-so-good on a mobile due to her hearing limitations. We keep getting calls from 8001836412 with offers to sign up to a service that is onky available from them. It seems to be good to be true - free texts and free calls to UK landlines for longtime loyal customers only? The thing is if this is genuine, why does Virgin operate is a way that is typical of scams? I am wary as (a) they do not allow us to call back to check that it is Virgin bona fide, and (b) it is conditional on giving bank details for direct debit.. I see on social media just 5 reviews - one who says it is a scam and another who says it is OK.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Genuine offer from Virgin or another scam?

Hi JohnLowrie,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are receiving cold calls stating that they are from Virgin Mobile.

We recommend not giving out any personal details over the phone, or via texts and email in order to protect yourself from scams.

If you would like for us to check to see what offers are available for you, please contact us direct by calling 789 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile), 150 (Freephone from a Virgin Mobile or Virgin Media landline) or 0345 6000 789 (from any other phone).

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I've received a call from this number too, and it is most definitely a scam.

0 Kudos
JohnLowrie
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I hope that Virgin can trace the origin. No doubt a lot of people would be fooled.

0 Kudos
JohnLowrie
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. I hope that Virgin can trace the origin. No doubt a lot of people would be fooled. Was the telephone number to you same as to me?

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=who+calls+from+08001836412&rlz=1C1PRFC_enGB627GB627&oq=who+calls+f...

SCAM

legally, Virgin cannot block these scam calls for you, you have to find ways to filter them out.. how you do that depends on what phone you have - android, apple...

0 Kudos
JohnLowrie
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought Virgin would try to find who is criminally claiming to act on its behalf. If the same number is used, I will just ignore it.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

JohnLowrie wrote:

I would have thought Virgin would try to find who is criminally claiming to act on its behalf. If the same number is used, I will just ignore it.

can't/won't 

just like microsoft can't stop the " this is microsoft, your PC has a virus" scam calls

I suspect there is some law that requires teclos to conenct all calls, just like postmen have to deliver all addressed mail. the

the opt outs that do exist are weak and don't stop the fraudsters.

luckily they are too lazy/ stupid to reprogram their robo call machines / fake caller IDs,  so once you have the number blocked you probably will not hear from them again.

0 Kudos