Menu
purplegirl1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Freestyle Contracts, Leaving, Complaint!

I have been a Virgin Mobile customer for about 5 years now and never had issues upgrading my contracts but now with the freestyle contracts I am unable to upgrade to a new contract with a phone because I fail the credit check. I have two contracts and wished to add another for my son to use but am unable to do so. One contract is on a sim-only deal and I wanted to go onto a pay monthly phone deal but cant do anything. I am stuck with both contracts and wont be able to upgrade either.

Why did Virgin remove the other contracts (cant remember what they were called) but you could choose to have a freestyle or a different one but now its only freestyle.

I will be cancelling my sim-only deal and once my other contract is up i will leave Virgin for good (even though I have to wait till October to do this). I am unhappy about doing this as Virgin have been good to me and if i had trouble they sorted it quickly. and upgrading and getting a new phone was quick to do, but if i am no longer able to get an upgrade there is no point staying.

All the contracts are cheaper than what both of mine are (not to mention the difference in minutes etc). But there is nothing that can be done. I have been given an address to write to (Customer Services Virgin Media) but i dont see the point in doing this just to be told its due to my credit check. All my previous contracts I was never made aware of having a credit check but that was because the contracts didnt involve the 'loan' for the phone, it was all one package.

I would understand if I was a new customer to go through this but as an existing customer having renewed my contracts in previous years without any problems and paying the bills (sometimes late but always paid asap if they were) I wouldnt expect to be told 'no you cant upgrade at this time'

Helpful Answers
purplegirl1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Freestyle Contracts, Leaving, Complaint!

Yeah ive seen a fair amount say they have good credit but Virgin turn them down.

I have just gotten a new deal with a different company. My credit check was successful and ill be receiving my new phone tomorrow.

One of my virgin accounts will be cancelled today and then when my other ends in October that too will be cancelled. Im not gonna stay if I cant upgrade anymore.

Oh yeah and yesterday i recieved a letter from Virgin saying they have deals for me etc and to give them a ring but they have nothing cos there computer says I fail the credit check.

All Replies
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Judging by the posts on here Virgin's credit check system is screwed. Long standing customers with perfect Experian credit scores are being knocked back.

Had a friend who had been knocked back. He decided to go with O2, called in one of their stores and walked out with a new phone within half an hour.

0 Kudos
purplegirl1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah ive seen a fair amount say they have good credit but Virgin turn them down.

I have just gotten a new deal with a different company. My credit check was successful and ill be receiving my new phone tomorrow.

One of my virgin accounts will be cancelled today and then when my other ends in October that too will be cancelled. Im not gonna stay if I cant upgrade anymore.

Oh yeah and yesterday i recieved a letter from Virgin saying they have deals for me etc and to give them a ring but they have nothing cos there computer says I fail the credit check.
nitrojunkie
Just joined
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have had the same problem, i have been with them for 8yrs, they told me it's because i had missed 1 payment a fewmonths ago, even though i had paid it straight away!  this company is completely f@*ked up, i just can't believe they treat their customers like this it's  awful, i wish i could make this problem become known to the whole of their customers so they are warned what to expect!

I mean how many of virgins customers have debt! i would pretty much say 99% of them and out that amount of people, probably 75% of them has missed a payment of some sort! if virgin carry on this way they are not going to have any customers left to line their pockets with our hard earned cash! 

I understand that they have to check new customers by doing a credit check, but i have done mine with them when i took my contract out with them 8yrs ago and i have never been asked to do a check when i have upgraded in the past! i am so so angry with virgin media its disgusting, degrading. 

it makes me laugh that if you dont past the credit check they are still willing to leave you on your old contract and tariff letting it roll over and still take your money! if we are good enough to have our existing contract with you virgin media then we are good enough to upgrade are we not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Blackpantheruk
Just joined
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have been with Virgin for almost 10 years now, (Broadband & phone)  we first joined when they were Blueyonder (Telewest).  Ive had a mobile phone contract with them for almost 5-6 years.  I applied for a new upgrade and they did a network check on me apparently i failed, no idea why, so i applied elsewhere and they accepted me said the network check came back that i had passed.  Once my contract with Virgin mobile runs out back end of March im finishing with the mobile part from them.  But why did virgin fail, and elsewhere pass ive no idea...

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been declined your contract. I'll be happy to explain why this is different with us compared to other networks.

Our Freestyle contracts that were introduced in 2014 are effectively a loan agreement. This is because the phone and the tariff are paid for separately on Freestyle. A regular phone contract pays for the phone and tariff under one price.

The freestyle contract allows you to pay off the phone separate from the tariff which gives the benefit of a new phone quicker than the longer tariff.

As this is a loan agreement, it will require a much higher credit rating.

If you would like to challenge the decision, please let me know and I can PM you the relevant info.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Michelleb79
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I'm having the same problem right now. Had a mobile contract for 6/7 years never a problem with an upgrade until now,I have been declined a phone but can carry on with my broken old one with the monthly payments, no thanks. It will be cancelled next month and also my partner is cancelling his and our sons contracts so we can all be in the same network, and also while we are at it will be leaving Virgin media and going to sky. After many problems with Virgin, this is the straw that's broke the camels back, and I will be recommending to my friends and family to leave also.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

And nobody can explain why people with high credit scores and who have no problem elsewhere fail. 

And, despite people claiming the opposite, it has become obvious in a number of cases no external check has been made before they are turned down.

Oh, I now know of two people who have been turned down by Virgin who have gone to O2 on their Refresh tariff where the cost of the phone is a loan and pass, getting high end phones.

0 Kudos