Menu
JOC1
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Flagship Samsung Galaxy S7 dual sim - call forwarding needed???

So I have a flagship Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Dual SIM mobile phone.  What joy, thought I, no need to carry two phones any more.  Virgin upgraded both my to sims to nano-sims (this bit did work well) and I installed these with great expectation.  They don't work :-(  The phone relies on call forwarding to function - I've never needed the functionality previously, but as I start to investigate the problems I seem to understand that Virgin mobile does not support call forwarding.  Can someone please confirm? 

If so this is very disappointing, I've probably been with Virgin mobile for over 15 years, but will have to consider changing provider.  Does anyone know of a UK provider that does support call forwarding please?  Many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Flagship Samsung Galaxy S7 dual sim - call forwarding needed???

Hi JOC1,

unfortunately Virgin Mobile does not support call forwarding.
(Other than to the voicemail service).

I'm afraid I can't comment on other providers.
Google may be able to help.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi JOC1,

unfortunately Virgin Mobile does not support call forwarding.
(Other than to the voicemail service).

I'm afraid I can't comment on other providers.
Google may be able to help.

JOC1
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank-you AlexKid, that's kind of what I thought, that's a real shame, but I think it will mean me switching - I've been investigating and both 3 Mobile and EE do support the service.  Virgin have been a good provider, but if they can't move with the times I think I shall need to say farewell.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

JOC1 wrote:

Thank-you AlexKid, that's kind of what I thought, that's a real shame, but I think it will mean me switching - I've been investigating and both 3 Mobile and EE do support the service.  Virgin have been a good provider, but if they can't move with the times I think I shall need to say farewell.

Hi JOC1,

both Three Mobile and EE also support 4G which you will be able to make use of if you switch.

I use a dual SIM myself (Virgin + 3 Mobile). As well as price, I would advise you to check out Three's coverage if considering them. (Virgin works on EE's network so you know what you're going to be getting with them).

0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexKid

I've just realised the implications of what you have put. 

Perhaps I could change just one of the SIMs to, say 3 Mobile and benefit from the 4G coverage offered and also a possible overlap/extension in coverage areas.  I could then set the 4G 3 Mobile Sim into the first slot (which is the only one that does the 3G/4G thing according to what I've read) and set the Virgin SIM into the 2G (calls only) slot, now lets get this the right way around, I can then run the call forwarding from the Virgin SIM to the 3 Mobile SIM (which should accept it).  Does that sound plausible?

At least that way I don't have to change both SIMs and get to stay with Virgin which is more cost effective for at least one of them.  I also should get the benefit of an extended coverage area across both the different networks for calls and get the 4G coverage for the data.  This sounds as though it has more going for it than changing both SIMS.  Is this how you saw it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JOC1,

yes, that is exactly what I do Smiley Happy

I have a Three Mobile PAYG data SIM in my No 1 slot. Mostly for the free data but it also benefits from their 3-2-1 rates.
(3p per minute, 2p per text, 1p per MB above my allowance).

The other slot has my Virgin Mobile SIM in and I just use this for calls.

(Yes I also benefit from a potentially extended coverage for outgoing calls as I have the choice of two networks Smiley Happy)

I don't understand what you are trying to achieve with the call forwarding though.

As I've said: Virgin Mobile don't support call forwarding other than to voicemail so you wouldn't be able to forward calls to a Three SIM.

But what would be the point anyway if that SIM were in the same phone. Except I suppose in a situation where you might be in a poor reception area for the incoming call & coverage/reception were better on the other SIM, able to accept the call.

0 Kudos
JOC1
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexKid, it sounds like you completely understand the situation I am in - I think I will go down the same route. 

Regarding the forwarding thing.  I have been having problems getting one of the currently installed SIMS to function (it is even the one installed in the only 2G/3G slot) and assumed that this could be something to do with the with Dual SIM always on function - this seems related to call forwarding/waiting as this is what fails for both sims, when I try to turn on 'Dual sim always on'.  I then found that Virgin did not allow the call forwarding and wondered if this is cause.  The SIM in the 2G/3G slot doesn't even display its number which also seems odd and won't hook up to a network unless I am somewhere with superb signal strength like an airport.  Also in the Settings/about device/status area only one SIM shows and this doesn't contain any data when I go to SIM card status, but both do show an IMEI number under IMEI information.  Its all most odd..............  I am a relatively new smart phone user, but OK with IT generally and I cannot explain the current behaviour with what I know. 

0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not got a lot of experience with dual sim as only tested it for a few hours when I got a new phone that featured it...
It sounds like, by the way you're describing it, this phone is a dual standby device with a software option to use call forwarding for some reason.
In dual standby both sims are activated and the primary sim is used for mobile data, when a call is in progress on either sim the other sim is disabled. This doesn't require forwarding and unless you talk a lot this is more a bit of an inconvenience than problem.

If both sims have the same name it can be somewhat confusing in use, I changed the names on my brand X phone so I guess you'll be able to do that too.

If you are having connection problems have you tested the cards in the opposite slots? Also deselect any 4g options in the network settings if you haven't already.
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi JOC1,

Thank you for coming in and posting your message, I have been able to reply to you on your other thread.

Please stay in touch and thanks.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos