Menu
MW1966
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Feeling ripped off!

Why is a phone call to the police non emergency number 101 deemed a premium rate call?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Feeling ripped off!

Don't think the price is the issue it's the principal.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi MW1966,

I appreciate how you feel, a lot of people think it should be free however it is a standard 15p call from all providers: https://www.police.uk/contact/101/

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you are really unhappy https://www.police.uk/contact/#alternative-numbers

All included in your minutes

Note the one for your local police

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I feel even more ripped off being charged for sending a text with the word ACCOUNT to 80150 as per virgins instructions for an account link to be sent by text.

Why is this text number being classed as a premium number not in tariff, especially as it's related to virgin mobile?

Even though it's a small amount I've asked for it to be removed and the advisor agreed, that was this morning and it still shows as a charge above of my tariff but an advisor says it will come off my bill once its produced.
0 Kudos
MW1966
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Is a good answer but the call was made away from my local area in response to a "non urgent" incident, a tree fell across the road infront of my car on a country lane. My point is that no call to an emergency service should be chargeable - I was once charged £5.70 for ringing the out of hours doctors number for an unwell relative - we are strongly urged to use 999 in the direst of emergencies only so it seams that Virgin then penalise us for dealing with out of hours, out of area, serious health or police issues by using the non emergency (yet still quite serious) numbers provided by these public services...

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re the tree falling on the road I would have dialled 999
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

MW1966 said:
"we are strongly urged to use 999 in the direst of emergencies only so it seams that Virgin then penalise us for dealing with out of hours, out of area, serious health or police issues by using the non emergency (yet still quite serious) numbers provided by these public services..."

The cost has nothing to do with Virgin, it's a set price all networks have to charge you, they would be breaking the law if they did not :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought 15p was a small price to pay to stop someone running into a tree

0 Kudos
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't think the price is the issue it's the principal.
0 Kudos
MW1966
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You may well have done but I was there and the circumstance did not warrent a 999 call. My partner is a forester so a call to 101 followed by a call to him was the most appropriate action for that situation. But that is not really the point - I feel it is wrong to charge a premium rate, as the charge was stated on my bill, for a call to the emergency services.

0 Kudos