Menu
macd69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Faulty phone

I hope somebody on here can help me.

I have tried to resolve a problem with my phone since June without success.  I have an LG G4 which cant seem to get a 3G connection.  I first noticed it when Google maps and music stopped working in June, reporting network connection problems, and my wifes phone (same model) showed H on the mobile data icon while my phone only displayed E (edge icon), as I was in Glasgow that day I popped into the virgin mobile shop, they issued a new sim and said that might fix it, but to phone 789 if it didnt work in a few days.  It never worked so I phoned them and they booked it in for repair, and then promptly forgot to send out the box, so I phoned a week later and they apologised and sent out a box, and I sent the phone back to them. A week later I got the phone back with a note saying I had sent the wrong phone, turns out they had booked the imei number of my wifes phone.  Eventually managed to get the phone sent back and the repair centre phoned to get more details on the phone saying they couldnt find the problem saying it had passed all tests, and eventually they sent the phone back saying they had found the fault and fixed it, but it still has the same problem.  The phone has been sent in 4 times, the last time apparently flagged for a senior technician to look at it, and each time sent back with the same problem. When the phone has been in for repair I have used the sim in an old Galaxy S3 with full data service, and when my phone and my wifes are sitting together she has an H icon while mine displays E, and if I swap sims its the same, I also reset my phone to factory status and skipped signing into a google account and still cant get access to anything faster than an edge connection.  My only point of contact is the 789 number and every time I phone them they say all they can do is book it in for repair, but the repair centre tell me they cant find a fault and advise me to phone virgin, I tried going into the virgin shop and was told they only have access to the 789 number too.  I was told to ask for a manager, but when I tried this I eventually got through to someone in the UK who told me all he could do was book it in for repair, I was once directed to the insurance company, but was told I would have to pay £40 excess, but dont want to do this as I haven't damaged the phone, it is still in perfect condition, therefore I dont see why I should pay £40 to fix the problem.  I also asked if I could just cancel the contract and send the phone back, but virgin told me I would have to buy out the contract, so basically I am being forced to pay for a phone which isnt working properly and a contract I cant use fully and have been running round in circles for 3 months, can anyone direct me to someone who can help?

Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Faulty phone

For diagnostic purposes, if you haven't already tried it - Set your network mode to WCDMA (3g) Only. If you get a 3g connection compare the signal strength and stability to the other phone. If you get no signal at all (including emergency calls only) perform a manual network scan and see if any network network at all appears on the list. If you are still on a 2g connection then I vaguely remember something about a different method to set the network type on Android.

While you're at it, if you set both phones to GSM (2g) only how does the signal strength (dBm) compare?

How long is left on your contract?

0 Kudos
pete_robbo
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have you managed to sort this, I'm having similar issues with data and GPS, i now also have a charging issue which that have diagnosed as requiring a screen replace, the screen is perfectly fine but there is no way of conveying this to the repair centre
0 Kudos
macd69
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Switching to 3g only loses the connection, but I have phoned them again and been told that the repair centre managed to get a 3g connection, so they basically told me I would have to use wi-fi only for the rest of the contract (18 months), just have to live with it as they said all they can do is book it in for repair, and UTC will send it back saying it passes all their tests.  I have emailed LG to see if they can help, but kind of resigned to buying a new phone and using this as an mp3 player (albeit a very expensive one)

0 Kudos
macd69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

At last I got this fixed, but not by Virgin, everyone I spoke to at Virgin and the repair centre gave the same reply, they couldn't fix a problem they couldn't find and weren't authorized to replace the phone.  I eventually contacted LG who asked me to send it to them and within 2 weeks they sent it back working perfectly, so obviously the phone had a fault, and the Virgin repair centre staff were lying when they said that they had received a data signal from the phone and also when they said they had repaired it, but at least I now have a working phone, and now just have to cancel my virgin media package, then wait another year till the phone contract is up then sever all ties with what is a truly dreadful company.

0 Kudos