Menu
sarahwoody
Joining in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Failed credit check

Hello! I have been with virgin for years, have mobile, broadband, tv package etc. I just tried to upgrade my phone to an Iphone. Despite having a top internal credit check I failed the external credit check. I know for a fact my credit score is good so am furious. Virgin told me to write to an address but I can't be bothered faffing around with this, surely there must be en email address or number I can call. I can leave my contract in a few weeks so will likely just do this. Has anyone else experienced this recently? So annoying

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Re: Failed credit check

Seems to be a problem since they started the new "freestyle" phone thing where you buy the phone separate from the contract.......don't know who's idea it was but it doesn't seem to be going down too well.

No-one else seems to be doing it so I don't know what VM thought they were doing changing things.

Also not interested in doing any discount etc as we were due an upgrade but no discount so bye.........

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

They are also blatantly ripping you off....

ie. Iphone 6 64gb is supposedly £816 over the 2years on interest free credit before you add a contract.

If that's the case how can you walk into the Apple store and buy the same phone for £619.

So VM's interest free credit will cost you £203.......RIP OFF MERCHANTS

Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I made a mistake.....long night on nightshift they are only ripping you off by £197

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sarahwoody,

I'm really sorry about this. As we've introduced our freestyle contracts, this requires a thorough credit check as it's essentially a loan agreement.

I've sent you a PM so we can look into this further.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
louisekay2010
Tuning in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

im with vm for broadband/tv/landline always paid my bills on time, i have store cards that r paid up to date, i also have a vodafone contract that is paid up to date.......... so my cred score should b good and yet vm refused me a mobile contract?! i think its their system/checks nothing personal lol

0 Kudos
Gordy1965
Rising star
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

They have obviously mad a mistake somewhere but typically of Virgin they will not own up to it.....far too many people with good credit history being told no credit when all they need to do is go to the nearest competitor and get a contract.

Just admit this new freestyle stuff is a piece of nonsense and go back to the way it was before and the same as everyone else out there in the market.

louisekay2010 wrote:

im with vm for broadband/tv/landline always paid my bills on time, i have store cards that r paid up to date, i also have a vodafone contract that is paid up to date.......... so my cred score should b good and yet vm refused me a mobile contract?! i think its their system/checks nothing personal lol

Jackbirdy
Settling in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I have had exactly the same thing happen to me. I have checked my credit rating with Equifax and Experian and both say I have an excellent credit rating, I am furious.

I was supposed to receive a phone call back from Virgin today but nothing. I have also emailed a complaint and no reply to that either.  I

have TV phone and broadband with them, have never missed a payment with virgin or anyone else for that matter, all I wanted was a sim only deal at £8 per month.  Think I will be taking my business elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

We're more than happy to look into this for you. Give us a call on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and we'll get on the case.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
JMichael
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

This "freestyle" system sounds crazy!

On a personal level, I had a right mess on with my upgrade back in July when Virgin handled the who thing appallingly considering I was a loyal customer with perfect payment history! I this was before this whole new system they have introduced!

Really don't understand why an externel check is needed to existing customers with years of loyal service. Bizarre....