Menu
lala261
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Failed Credit Check for Mobile Phone Credit Agreement

I already have a mobile SIM card with Virgin on a rolling contract, and wanted to get the Lumia 640 on a credit agreement and keep my existing SIM card. On Xmas eve i called Virgin and had 2 phone calls re this. On the 2nd one they told me I had failed the credit check for the Lumia 640 but had passed for SIM only. I was stunned as i;ve always had good credit history.

Now i am really worried this is going to negatively affect my credit report. I asked the person in the first conversation if it was a hard or soft search and she said hard. I asked the second and she said soft. How do i find out if this is a soft or hard search, and if it will appear on my credit report,  and how do i find our why I failed. It makes no sense to me and I'm really upset about this.

Any help much appreciated. thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Failed Credit Check for Mobile Phone Credit Agreement

Search the forum for "underwriters".

The failure is something wrong at Virgin Towers - the credit request doesn't even get out of the building. Your credit report will be unaffected.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Gorf

I may have to disagree

The "our service" document reads

It's a two way thing....
If you apply for any of our Pay Monthly (including Liberty SIM) tariffs, or any other tariff where we offer you credit, then we will carry out a credit check on you as part of your application process. We may also conduct subsequent credit checks whilst you retain a financial relationship with us. We may search the files of credit reference agencies which may keep a record of that search. Details of how you conduct your account may also be disclosed to such agencies.

The agencies will record details of the search, whether or not the application goes ahead. We may use credit-scoring methods to assess the application and to confirm your identity. We and other companies may use credit searches and other information, which is provided to us or the credit reference agencies (or both), about you (and those you are linked financially to) if credit decisions are made about you, or other members of your household.

Can be found here . The credit check can be found at the top under the red headings

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
mskitty
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,
They didn't ask for my card this time round, but must have recorded the info for my card when I first became a Virgin customer 2 or 3 years ago. (Although I can't remember giving them that info at the time either).
Even although it isn't required to set up a direct debit - it's the kind of thing that MIGHT block an application for credit. (I guess?)
As I said - updating that field to a valid card mysteriously coincided with them accepting my credit the very next day. 

If you already have a Virgin online account for your current SIM-only contract, it may be worthwhile checking if any card is associated with it. 
But if you don't then, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Search the forum for "underwriters".

The failure is something wrong at Virgin Towers - the credit request doesn't even get out of the building. Your credit report will be unaffected.

0 Kudos
lala261
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

That's a relief to know!

how do you know this?

is it worth me going back to them to try again?

thanks so much for getting back to me.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Gorf

I may have to disagree

The "our service" document reads

It's a two way thing....
If you apply for any of our Pay Monthly (including Liberty SIM) tariffs, or any other tariff where we offer you credit, then we will carry out a credit check on you as part of your application process. We may also conduct subsequent credit checks whilst you retain a financial relationship with us. We may search the files of credit reference agencies which may keep a record of that search. Details of how you conduct your account may also be disclosed to such agencies.

The agencies will record details of the search, whether or not the application goes ahead. We may use credit-scoring methods to assess the application and to confirm your identity. We and other companies may use credit searches and other information, which is provided to us or the credit reference agencies (or both), about you (and those you are linked financially to) if credit decisions are made about you, or other members of your household.

Can be found here . The credit check can be found at the top under the red headings

http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/our-service.html

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Lee_B wrote:

I may have to disagree

Well luckily, lala261 doesn't have to take my word for it. They can sign up to experian for free and examine the recent checks on their credit record online.

It will ask for some card details, but as long as you cancel within 30 days, no money will be taken. They are very swift to cancel the membership, but you'll need to unsubscribe from their mailing list separately.

Noddle is another agency, but it's totally free. I haven't used it, so I can't confirm whether it allows you to see seaches done by companies against yiour record.

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Gorf wrote:

Lee_B wrote:

I may have to disagree

Well luckily, lala261 doesn't have to take my word for it.

Of course. This is the beauty of a community forum

however ,  I would also echo your comment of joining the free website to view the credit file. I have heard good things about it .

Good shout!

0 Kudos
mskitty
Tuning in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

In a similar thread elsewhere on the forum I posted this reply a few months ago.
Am re-posting here in case it's of any help.

Re: POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO Credit Check fail?... with near perfect Credit Score on Equifax? Wot?

Hi - not sure but I may have stumbled across the answer to the Credit check fail issue.

I had the same problem as everyone else in this thread - long term customer, no credit issues, no debt etc but still got refused  the 'loan' part when trying to upgrade my phone.
I went into my online virgin mobile account to see if I could spot any anomalies there and discovered that that there's a section entilted 'payment card' where it showed that I had an 'expired card'.

I can't remember ever specifically giving Virgin this info, but I guess it was logged when I got my first phone from them. The card had expired 6 months earlier, and wasn't an issue 'cos I paid all my bills by direct debit - but I wondered if that 'expired card' flag was causing my application to be blocked.

So - I updated my Virgin account online with the details of the current card - these were instantly accepted - and went into my local Virgin shop 24 hours later to see if I could now get the phone I wanted, and - surprise, surprise - I passed all their checks and walked out the store with my lovely new Xperia Z3.

I'm not claiming that I've definitely found the answer to this issue, for all I know some other jiggery pokery might have gone on at Virgin central and it's just coincidence that I got my phone - BUT - if others try this and find that it works, can you let me know.

Thanks,
Katherine

0 Kudos
lala261
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response,

Is there anyway to find out why I failed ?

It doesn't make sense to me. Also, FYI the 2nd call i had with centre in the Phillipines was really difficult as i struggled to understand the call handler. First lady was really easy, but second actually a really poor call. Virgin needs to look into this if using call centres abroad.

Thanks for your response

0 Kudos
lala261
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

they didn't actually ask for a card, but took bank account details for a direct debit

0 Kudos
mskitty
Tuning in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,
They didn't ask for my card this time round, but must have recorded the info for my card when I first became a Virgin customer 2 or 3 years ago. (Although I can't remember giving them that info at the time either).
Even although it isn't required to set up a direct debit - it's the kind of thing that MIGHT block an application for credit. (I guess?)
As I said - updating that field to a valid card mysteriously coincided with them accepting my credit the very next day. 

If you already have a Virgin online account for your current SIM-only contract, it may be worthwhile checking if any card is associated with it. 
But if you don't then, sorry, I don't know what else to suggest.

0 Kudos