Menu
robertowen
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Extremely Disappointed with Virgin Mobile.

Dear community,

Hi there once upon a time I used to be with O2, but as I have been a virgin media customer for 16 (nearly 17) years I decided to make the switch to virgin mobile as I thought I would receive a better deal on a contract phone for me and my son and would receive better customer service/treatment for my loyalty to Virgin Media.

Unfortunately this belief did not materialise with my sons phone, there are several reasons for my disappointment.

#1: Value for Money

At the time I bought the contract i wasn't really too aware of "the best deal"/"best phone" for my son. He wasn't to interested in the "latest model" and didn't know what "data package/minute package/text package to get". I chose the Sony M2 (big mistake) for him, and a reasonable package. I chose a 2 year contract on the customer service experts advice. A few months down the line i started to get huge bills on my statements and my son got texts saying his monthly bill was £50+... I then changed his package to a higher one than advised and then still found he was getting charged without virgin alerting him that he was going over his data limit, after getting text message notifications set up and installing the "my virgin" app he was better able to control his data. However I had made the journey from a menial £20/month to £40+/month contract with the added data package's.

#2: Sony M2 reoccurring Faults/generally bad handset/bad customer service.

a.) Firstly the sony m2 is a poor quality handset, with a terrible back camera, a even worse front camera, slow faulty software. Constant software updates, low internal memory, bad graphics. Furthermore when I contacted Sony customer service about the below faults they just gave me the usual "factory reset rhetoric" that virgin did.

b.)"By the time I have finished this post I would of sent off for my 4TH TOTAL REPLACEMENT! from virgin medias insurance programme!"

This problem has infuriated me beyond belief and has seriously left me feeling down and depressed.

The Problem: A reoccurring random notification sound/vibration notification sound occurring at random times constantly throughout the day.

Explained: At random intervals throughout the day i am constantly irritated by my phone either vibrating or if my notification sound is turned up, a horrible UNKNOWN notification sound. I have no known apps that make this noise i cannot find the source of the noise but it always occurs, especially when the phone is in use.

INSURANCE:

So my son had this notification problem pretty much as soon as he got the phone bear in mind that it was completely new, i first rang virgin when my son smashed his phone screen (completely his fault) and thought id bring up the problem of the notifcation sound, the virgin people/asurion said they've never heard of such a problem, they made me feel as if i had to justify the problem to them, like i was almost making it up, despite me finding numerous forums declaring the same fault:  https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z-ZL-ZR/Sony-Xperia-Z-Vibration-problem/td-p/308714 / http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z/help/xperia-z-wont-stop-vibrating-t2449457 / https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-M2-M2-Aqua/Xperia-M2-vibration/td-p/890984 /

https://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-Z1-Compact/My-phone-keeps-vibrating-randomly/td-p/726827.

1st Replacement: After paying the £40 charge they eventually sent me a "new" phone. Although after spending money every month on insurance and paying the £40 excess charge I AT LEAST EXPECTED A NEW PHONE! Instead i was sent a refurbished phone! Despite the phone being "as good as new" the phantom vibration and notifications return to haunt my son, just imagine your phone virbating in your hand / pocket constantly throughout the day aswell as a annoying notification sound, whether hes texting listebing to music the vibrations and notifications are there, it did actually start to get him down! He just wanted a phone like the rest of his freinds and now he is locked into a unnaceptable contract with a unacceptable phone with a company which has shown little to no interest in trying to make the customer happy!

2nd Replacement: so the second replacement comes and lone behold the noise/vibration error  is back this time it reads 'nfc error, please try again" with another unkbown error sound.

3rd replacement: this is beyond a joke i have just sent off for yet abother phone, due to i spent a total of 1+hour on the phone and got really annoyed as when i asked if i could have a new phone "NORBERT" said it depends on the stock?

It depends on the stock? I'm sorry but I'm paying 40 pounds/month as well as insurance for my phone, and you cant even send me a new phone instead of a refurbished one! You wouldn't think I'm actually paying for it would you!

-In total ive probally spent a good 6 hours on the phone between asurion and virgin customer service.

-There is no customer service email? which reduces accountability on virgins part because phone calls cannot be tracked as easily which lowers corporate responsibility to customers.

-Ive had to factory reset every replacement and erase/transfer my files to every single device.

-My whole virgin media experience has been plagued with faults, and wasted time, it feels like ive been on the phone to customer service my entire life, or sending phones off, phones are meant to make life simpler i can describe this  experience of being  nothing less than a chore.

I am dissapointed with this service as i believe virgin media is a good company especially when it comes to broadband. I initially just wanted a NEW replacement phone but i am now considering ending my contract however i still have a year left and am unwilling to pay a early return fee and pay the remaining fees as its not my fault... and would not even be considering to leave if virgin mobile had provided a acceptable service. I am considering  taking legal action as to regards as my contract with virgin to see if they have breached the agreement.

Words cannot describe my annoyance, as you can tell from the length of my response. I feel let down by a company i have been loyal too for more than 16 years...

0 Kudos
Elisabeth
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely Disappointed with Virgin Mobile.

Hi Robert,

For what it's worth, I have a Sony Z2 on vodafone and it does the same thing. It only started doing it after an operating system upgrade pushed through last year. After checking out the web and the consensus being that it's an app doing the notification thing and me turning off all sounds on all apps, I realised that it's actually the phone telling me when it's lost signal and then found it again.  When I have the phone on silent it doesn't do it.

My workaround is I have the phone on silent all the time, it's just too irritating to have it any other way.  

I'm almost out of contract with it thankfully and I'll move on. The one thing I have noticed since I left virgin mobile and started shopping around is that none of the providers will give you a decent deal of their own accord.  Your best bet is to do a bit of shopping around and go to the one you want to use and tell them to meet the deal if they want your business (works with breakdown cover too!).

Good luck with getting the phone sorted and I hope it's not too painless.

0 Kudos
robertowen
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Extremely Disappointed with Virgin Mobile.

Thanks for the reply Elisabeth,

Yes that seems to be a good workaround and thanks for advice, I certainly will be having a good shop around next time!, but don't mind me saying that as consumers we should not have to devise our own niche work-around just to get our product to operate properly.

Thanks, Robert.
0 Kudos