Menu
JoanneSharp
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Exceeded Internet Usage

Hi there,

Just had a bill for £42 for exceeding data. I have paid for my daughters phone for 5 years now with no issues or bills for additional money. All the charges are one-off charges for £2, and are taken at midnight or just after when my daughter is asleep. Has anyone had anything similar?  I don’t understand where these charges are coming from and am very unhappy with a bill of this size particularly at this time of year.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Exceeded Internet Usage

PAYG internet is charged at £2/day for a set amount. If she has mobile data on and something such as facebook is using the data it will charge you for the data. also as its a daily charge that is why it happens at midnight.

You need to turn off mobile data on the phone to stop this happening
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

been there done that or at least my daughter has with one of her children

your package has a data allowance - thats been used up in some way - maybe not your daughter as apps on smartphones can and do check for updates on their own - if the data allowance has been used then each day that happens the £2 charge will kick in if data is used in a 24 hour period - midnight is just the cycle time

you can turn data off on the phone but sometimes the apps can bypass that and phone home - Virgin do [i believe] send a text to say the data is used up but [again i believe] thats something you have to set up - even that may not stop the app using data - certainly does not on my phone

you have a few options

1 - ask VM to turn data off on the package - thats total so anything that is there will not be usable

2 - increase the data allowance on a different package

3 - educate your daughter but as i say it may not be her using the data

4 - look at another provider - some - O2 i believe - maybe others dont allow use of data after the allowance is used up without consent

Tony

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

PAYG internet is charged at £2/day for a set amount. If she has mobile data on and something such as facebook is using the data it will charge you for the data. also as its a daily charge that is why it happens at midnight.

You need to turn off mobile data on the phone to stop this happening
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

been there done that or at least my daughter has with one of her children

your package has a data allowance - thats been used up in some way - maybe not your daughter as apps on smartphones can and do check for updates on their own - if the data allowance has been used then each day that happens the £2 charge will kick in if data is used in a 24 hour period - midnight is just the cycle time

you can turn data off on the phone but sometimes the apps can bypass that and phone home - Virgin do [i believe] send a text to say the data is used up but [again i believe] thats something you have to set up - even that may not stop the app using data - certainly does not on my phone

you have a few options

1 - ask VM to turn data off on the package - thats total so anything that is there will not be usable

2 - increase the data allowance on a different package

3 - educate your daughter but as i say it may not be her using the data

4 - look at another provider - some - O2 i believe - maybe others dont allow use of data after the allowance is used up without consent

Tony
robinoi
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You can pay, what, £12 for 1 GB over a month, then bust the limit and pay £2 a DAY, but maybe only use a few MB. It's not only extortion, it's inconsistent because you're contracted to pay a set amount of money for a set amount of data, but if you go over you're paying a whack for unlimited data. It's a con. 

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it's called business.
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

jamesofmerton wrote:
it's called business.

Moving to a provider that allows you to buy extra data is called consumer choice.

0 Kudos