Menu
Jim606
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

EU Data Pass

How do ..

I've seen conflicting advice on this so just wondered if you purchased a Data Pass before you left for Europe or when you arrived. 

Many thanks 

Jim

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: EU Data Pass

Before as when you arrive you will have issues contacting virgin if there are issues from overseas. Enable roaming on the phone first not national roaming mind
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

It seems you can only buy them at the moment when abroad. You have to get roaming enabled and then text for the data.

National Roaming refers to roaming across networks in your own country. Not allowed in UK

0 Kudos
Jim606
Joining in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks JOhn, enlli 

I've tried from the UK and got the 'whoops!' message. Will try calling,eeekkk! and see if the team can confirm if it's set up or not yet. Would rather not be charged twice .. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
J0hn
Super solver
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Enlli

your post indicates that "national roaming" is no longer allowed within the UK.

In the past it was a requirement to use the EE network frequencies when the  Virgin/old T-Mobile service was poor or non existent.

Virgin = traditional network

virgin= EE network 

Has that changed?

0 Kudos
Jim606
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick update on this one .. Called 789 this morning and they confirmed the Data Pass had not been set up so did it manually. Unfortunately, didn't answer the question of whether you have to text from the UK or EU to get it done in the first place. Fingers crossed all works when away. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jim606

Thanks for your message Smiley Happy

It's good to hear you've been able to get this arranged now.

We do recommend setting up the data pass once you're abroad as it may not go through while you're in the UK.

You can also check you have signal where you are and that the handset connects to it before buying the pass Smiley Happy

Have a fantastic holiday!

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jim606
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mark 

Thank you for the update. 

Despite being told the data pass is all set up and I have good coverage I have no data. Any clues on how I can get this to work would be much appreciated. Have called customer service but still no joy. 

Many thanks 

jim

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jim606

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear that the data pass isn't working - can I check calls and texts work okay?

Could you just make sure that both Data and Data Roaming are enabled in the network settings on your device.

It's also worth just sending a text to request a data pass now you're away.

You can get information on the passes available, their costs and what you need to do to request it here.

Let me know how you get on.

Many thanks

Mark Y
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jim606
Joining in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mark 

calls & text are working, I have called customer services who checked everything & said it was ok. I have all roaming options enabled but still not data access. Forgive me for being wary but I've already been charged £5 for the privilege not be be able to access 250MB of data so I would rather not try this again. Would rather it be sorted or given some advice on how to get data access, which hopefully is not too unreasonable. 

Sadly seems I'm not alone here. 

Jim

0 Kudos