Menu
dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

EE deal with BT

Since Virgin use the back of the EE signal can someone from Virgin tell me what will happen once the BT deal has been approved by the regulator at the end of the year? I cannot imagine Virgin wanting to share anything with a rival, Will it be that you will hop over to Vodafone or maybe even have your own masts and become a proper network not a MVNO as is the case now.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: EE deal with BT

I don't think anyone at Virgin would be able to tell you that. 

First. The likelihood of a change of network would be commercially sensitive information.

Second The BT EE merger is still not a done deal. 

Vodafone and Liberty global are in talks about asset sharing, but that is all it is at this stage.

I do expect Virgin to go over to Vodafone in the future if both of these things go ahead, but that is some way off.

As far as running their own network, that is not going to happen. First, they need a licence, second they would need frequency allocations and last they would need to invest billions in building infrastructure. Allowing for planning permission and the like you would be looking at a time frame of ten or more years before national coverage.

dazm33
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, Well clever clogs I can tell you EE and BT have agreed terms but are waiting for regulatory approval as is the case with o2 and Three, I think it would be in Virgin Media's best interests to keep its customers informed if they do flee from the EE or should I say BT signal
0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You can call me 'clever clogs'. When I said not a done deal I was referring that the whole matter was in the hands of the regulators.

You may think it is in Virgin' best interest to tell people what is happening, but I doubt they see it that way. They don't even tell us how long their contract with EE has left to run.

If Liberty's talks with Vodafone stall they may well end up on O2 or O2/3 if that gets past Europe. 

They will inform you nearer the time when they know what is happening, which I suspect at present they don't. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

enlli wrote:

You can call me 'clever clogs'. 

I don't think there was any malice intended there - I think that Dazm33 just looked at the wrong place for your name and thought it was the stupid ranking system for post count.

I don't think there will be any issue for Virgin customers if the sale goes ahead. It's harder to get a new customer than keep an existing one (which is why we don't see the brilliant deals offered to newcomers until we threaten to leave).

0 Kudos