Menu
marktcards
Joining in
Message 1 of 43
Flag for a moderator

EE Signal Box for Virgin Phones - info for anyone wondering

I thought I'd post this since there still seems to be a lack of definitive information out there for people wanting to use an ee signal booster for their Virgin mobile.

I just got one of the boxes since there is zero signal in my area and after several calls to ee - I kept calling back to get different people just to confirm that I got the same info from more than one operator - I can tell you that Virgin phones WILL work with an ee signal booster, but you need an ee account to ACTIVATE it.

Once it is activated, you can use Virgin phones and with the latest model of signal booster you don't need to call them up to add new numbers, they will just work.

You can't, however, just get a PAYG ee sim and use that number to register, you need a contract - the minimum of which is a pay monthly sim only deal (min contract 1 month)

I haven't done this myself yet as I just opened the box this morning, but I will post an update to confirm 100% when mine is working.

hope this helps

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: EE Signal Box for Virgin Phones - info for anyone wondering

Hi marktcards,

Thanks for your post regarding this Smiley Happy

Please keep us updated with how you get on.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
marktcards
Joining in
Message 3 of 43
Flag for a moderator

After having to wait a while, I have received an EE pay monthly sim card and called up straight away to activate the signal box.  They said it would take up to 24 hours for it to go live on the network and since it was late, I had to wait until the next day, but now it is all working OK and my Virgin phone now has a signal! :-)

I have the latest model of the EE signal box - so I don't need to call up to register new numbers (which I believe you have to do with the older ones) it just picks up any EE phone in range, up to 4 at a time I think.

Also, I think you can activate the signal box if you have an old Orange or T-Mobile account (which were taken over by EE) as they asked if I had one of those accounts initially when I said I didn't have an EE account.

So all I will do now is cancel the EE monthly contract after the first month.

Of course, if you have a friend who is an EE customer, you can just get them to call up and register your signal box for you.  Because I had just moved, the postcode on my account was different to the one I wanted to register the signal box to but they didn't care.

0 Kudos
techguyone
Joining in
Message 4 of 43
Flag for a moderator

How do you go  about getting one from EE, my house signal is diabolical, last I heard unless you were a business user,  you had zero chance of getting one.

0 Kudos
hughmoz
Joining in
Message 5 of 43
Flag for a moderator

If a friend/family member who lives elsewhere is an Orange customer can they register the signal box by phoning Orange

and giving the IMEI number of the signal box even if the signal box is at the Virgin phone owners house? I'm asking this as I had to give my Orange phone number when I registered my EE signal box with Orange. So, would the Orange customer simply register that signal box using the IMEI number and their own Orange mobile number and then the person with box (The Virgin customer) can use the box once the flashing green light goes solid green and is ready to be used?

0 Kudos
David63
Superfast
Message 6 of 43
Flag for a moderator

How do we VM customers go about getting one of these boosters.
0 Kudos
David63
Superfast
Message 7 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Just a little update I have contacted customer service who have said they done provide signal boosters.
0 Kudos
marktcards
Joining in
Message 8 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Update - I am just now waiting for the EE contract cancellation so I will see if the signal box keeps working after that - since there have also been conflicting reports of whether they stop working when you leave EE.

Also - the only place you can get the signal boxes is from eBay I think - that's where I got mine, but it might be worth holding off now as the mobile companies are coming out with apps that do the same thing - mobile and text over wifi.

I know 3 Network has one and EE itself is starting to roll theirs out - Virgin might not be far behind.

Since the boxes are not exactly cheap.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Martktcards,

Please keep us updated how you get on with this Smiley Happy

I'd like to add from a Virgin point of view that there is absolutely no guarantee that this will work on our side as we've experienced varying reports.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
marktcards
Joining in
Message 10 of 43
Flag for a moderator

I can now confirm that after canceling the EE contract, they have also switched off the signal box, so back to no signal in the house.

Not sure about the people who have said that their boxes still work after leaving EE but that is not what has happened to me.

Any idea if Virgin are going to release a wifi app like three's intouch which lets you make mobile calls over wifi?

If not I am going to have to leave Virgin for EE to get a signal in the house and I would rather not do that.

0 Kudos