Menu
eejay
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dropped calls and poor connection

For the past couple of weeks I have been unable to use my mobile because the connection keeps failing.

We first thought it might be because I've got a nice new phone and hadn't set it up properly, but my other half is having exactly the same issues when at home, or near to our home, so the problem isn't limited to my phone although we have tried the various fixes including re-selecting provider, removing SIM and battery etc..

It's utterly frustrating to try to make a call only to lose the connection after the first few words. It's irritating, and rather embarrassing, to receive a call only to have the connection fail when the caller starts to speak. It's annoying to have a new phone that I can't use for anything other than texts.

The 789 help line isn't much use because I keep getting disconnected. I tried calling 6 times earlier this evening, the shortest connection time was less than 30 seconds, the longest was 2 minutes 35 seconds - nowhere near long enough to listen to all the options, be told I have to wait for 30 seconds or more because they're all busy, and be able to explain the problem. One operator did try calling me back, but the call disconnected before I was able to answer it.

It would be handy to know how I can find out what's gone wrong.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dropped calls and poor connection

Hi eejay,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

I sincerely apologise for the problems you've been experiencing with the dropped calls. I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

What handsets do you both have?

Are you both on Virgin?

Do you have access to landline phone? If so, you can contact the team on 0345 6000 789 instead without having to worry about being cut off.

They'll be able to check your local masts to see if there are any problems. They'll also be able to diagnose the issue further.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
eejay
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Both our phones run Android, both are with Virgin, both have ongoing connection problems. Mine is the new phone (it's a budget one, punishment because I drowned the last one); the other (much more expensive) was working just fine until I started using mine, but that's pure coincidence and poor timing.

After trying 789 several times, and failing dismally, I eventually managed to speak to the helpline on Wednesday, using the landline number.

After quite a time talking to one assistant who advised a reboot - which did precisely nothing - my call was transferred to somebody with a more technical background. They checked for maintenance work and said there had been a number of local-to-us complaints during the previous week or so about poor service/signal, then said that 2 or 3 of the nearby cell masts were having work done.

This work is, apparently, due to be completed during the next 72 hours. I have to assume this is accurate and that maybe things will eventually improve by tomorrow?

Forgive me for wondering why I couldn't find this information without having to spend ages on the phone, and without having to rely on a landline! Fewer and fewer people have landlines these days, there's no real need in most places, but we'd have been stumped without one.

You see, the internet has been around for quite some time now. It's an amazing thing that lets people and organisations have their own websites, where they can tell the rest of the world what's going on. Some sites are even updated several times a day.

The problem for us is that we can see, on the Virgin website, some mention of where maintenance and repair work is being carried out, but there's nothing in our area which is understandable because, as far as we know, EE runs the network here. (We could be wrong).

The EE site is the same - no mention of maintenance work being done in this area. So where could we find up-to-date information without using a forum or a landline?

Is it really too much to expect mobile phone providers (not just Virgin) to update their bit of the internet more often, so as to give customers up to date information about maintenance etc. In the long run it could actually save a lot of angst, time and money.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi eejay,

Many thanks for keeping me updated.

I'm really pleased to hear you've got in contact with the team. I really hope the masts do get updated in the next 72 hours and your signal is greatly improved.

We don't offer an outage page because EE don't offer one to their customers, although you do make a good point and it would be very useful.

Please keep me updated on the progress.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
eejay
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, but it's no better.

I've a 'test' text waiting to go, still sitting there since it was written last night. All I'm getting is the "search for all available networks" pop up.

It would be helpful if there was a quicker and easier way of finding out what's going on without the having to go through either 789 or landline phone calls (+options menus, +recorded messages) or posting a question on a forum.

I'm loathe to call again simply because of the time it takes, and I have a feeling the telephone help team can't do anything other than report on what they're told is going on. In reality there's nothing we can do except wait - it's down to EE and/or Virgin to get the masts fixed.

It would be good if they could hurry up!

0 Kudos
eejay
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I ended up trying the 789 number again yesterday. 12 calls varying in length from 4seconds to 1m53s. The last was long enough for me to give my landline number and to get a call back.

Went through the various tricks to try to establish a connection that works, none did. This time I wasn't passed onto the engineering people, so nothing about local transmission/reception available.

A new SIM card will be on its' way. Maybe that'll trick the masts into working properly!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi eejay,

Thanks for keeping me updated.

It sounds like the mast update was completed but didn't make a difference. So the next logical step is to replace the SIM card.

Please keep me posted on this.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
eejay
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Magically, after a couple of days the new SIM card managed to make both mine and my other half's phone work properly. Obviously the work on the masts took longer than planned.

All's working well now, and back to normal service, but we do think there has to be an easier way of find out what's going on when something breaks or when engineering work means the signal is seriously disrupted.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi eejay,

Thanks for getting back to usSmiley Happy

Great news, glad to hear its back up and running for you.

Totally appreciate the points you've made with regards to fault reporting which we will gladly take on board. We will endeavour as always to ensure we look at ways in which this can be improved.

Many thanks.

Take care

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos