Menu
nigel1107
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does Virgin give a reduced EE service to it's customer's

While at home i regulary have no or limited signal, and end up resorting to making funny shapes in the window to get it to send text's or make phone call's.

This also happens when i'm out and about at various indoor locations, at the same time my daughters and wife who are on three and 02 dont have a problem.

This happens with both mobile signal and mobile internet.

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin give a reduced EE service to it's customer's

They say not. But EE may limit the amount of bandwidth available to Virgin but we would never find out.

The only way to find out would be to see if you got similar results with an EE SIM in the same phone.

Do you know anyone on EE who can check what reception they get at your location?

Also, don't rule out a fault with the phone.

What does EE's coverage checker say for your postcode http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/why-ee/network/mobile-coverage

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Having a Virgin Sim and a EE work phone I have to carry around sometimes, I have not noticed any real difference in signal strength.

What I have noticed, is that when your at a place with thousands of over people, the EE phone has working mobile data - while the Virgin Sims say they have a H+ signal, but the data does not work, it's works again once you leave and picking up a signal from a less busy mast.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
nigel1107
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for replying i have been onto EE checker which shows i'm at least very good at my home address.

And a friend of mine that has EE who i met up with yesterday was showing much better results than i did in the same places.

Part way round we even swapped phones which showed the same results.

my phone is an LG G4

my postcode is B9

So it just seems to convince me even more that there seems to be a reduced EE service for Virgin customers

Bigga
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Had the same thing happen to me, 5 phones i knew off where doing it, long story short, virgin said they will talk to EE and if they say nothing wrong then have your pac codes. I did and now have 3 phones that run on EE that work fine.....

0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK, been posting this before, but here we are, for your information.

I have 2 phones. a personal phone, on VM pay monthly, a work phone on Orange (EE) pay monthly..

The VM one shows just 2-3 bars, whilst the Orange, sitting right next to it, shows...5 bars..

Just to prove it is not the phones....swap the SIM's over..

So, VM sim in works phone...2-3 bars....Orange sim in personal phone....5 bars!!!!

load the same web page on both, the Orange sim loads the page 1/3 FASTER than the VM sim, whichever phone its in.. (both using 3G (cause VM can't be ducked to offer 4G!!))

VM insist that they are not 'capped' by EE, yet, these results show that they ARE, whether they like it or not...

Do you really need any more 'proof???  VM are unable to offer the same signal power as EE. Period!!!

0 Kudos
raddleman
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whilst not wanting to get into any discussions re rights and wrong of  EE vs Virgin signals  For information at my location, adjacent to a football field  the EE service can and does originate  from separate EE -T Mobile and  EE- Orange  service aerials on separate lighting towers. 

My Virgin phone normally is connected to the  EE-T Mobile signal shown  as Virgin with capital V on my phone whilst it can also, if forced,  connect to the EE -Orange service which is shown on my phone as virgin in lower case.

Historically Virgin used T mobile only before the T_Mobile and Orange companies merged hence the T- Mobile preference

So just to be fair although your signals appears to originate from the same mast it may not be the case  

0 Kudos
enlli
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was thinking similar raddleman although I no longer have a Virgin phone to try.

I suspect EE SIMS now lock on to whichever is the strongest signal for a given area, whilst Virgin SIMS still prefer T-Mobile only switching to Ex- Orange when there is no T-Mobile service.

It's probably taking EE some time to fully integrate things. Whether a SIM update on Virgin's part would cure it, I'm not sure.

0 Kudos
mronks
Dialled in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have a Virgin Sim in my Galaxy S3 (which supports 3G up to 21.1mbps) and a T-Mobile contract in my old Sony Xperia U (which supports 3G up to 14.4mbps).

In most cases the signal is roughly the same but similarly to what was mentioned above as soon as I go somewhere busy, such as a train station the S3 will have no data connection at all even though it has a signal, my T-Mobile contract will consistently work without issues and is generally faster even though the phone is older and has slower 3G support. At home I'll often have to force my Virgin contract on to 2G to get a signal and it will still often drop to Emergency Calls only, T-Mobile can be left on 3G without an issue.

It's not a handset issue either as I've tested them swapped around and it was definitely a network issue. Pair that with no 4G/LTE and I'm likely to be one of the many others who jumps ship and moves the whole families contracts along with mine.

0 Kudos