Menu
davwhite
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Does Virgin always charge for MMS?

First I had the problem of not being able to receive MMS straight to my phone (had to login to that web-app and manually download them). And now that's fixed I've found out Virgin charges for every MMS sent! I'm paying for unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 1GB data /month but Virgin still charges 40p per picture message I send (and even those are limited to a tiny size)??

Just wondering if I've missed something, like how I had to change the settings in order to receive MMS. Or does Virgin still charge per MMS no matter what like its 2006?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin always charge for MMS?

I'd be interested to know which network you know which does not charge for each MMS sent :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
davwhite
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was with Three for several years. The only time my bill was higher than expected was when I went over my data limit. Not for sending pictures.
0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi davwhite

All pictures messages sent with Virgin cost 40p per MMS

I would recommend using WhatsApp to send pictures Smiley Happy

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

davwhite
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

But with Whatsapp, am I not limited to sending messages to people also on Whatsapp? 

0 Kudos
Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Whatsapp wouldn't give you any limitations on how many messages you send as it goes through a data connection i.e WIFI or the data connection on the handset.

As long as the recipient has Whatsapp then feel free to message away Smiley Happy

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

davwhite wrote:
I was with Three for several years. The only time my bill was higher than expected was when I went over my data limit. Not for sending pictures.

Looking at their price list, you would be charged now if you started a new contract today, but I must say at less than half the price of a Virgin MMS (17.4 pence).

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

MMS is a very lucrative market. It uses existing infrastructure (you can't send MMS without mobile data enabled) so there's no reason that UK carriers should still be charging for it, especially for people with inclusive data.

The real kicker is that the rest of the world has already grasped this, so handset manufacturers make their phones automatically switch to MMS when circumstances mean that it's a more efficient protocol than SMS - for example when sending a really long text. In the UK you get charged but anywhere else you don't.

davwhite
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lee_B wrote:
Whatsapp wouldn't give you any limitations on how many messages you send as it goes through a data connection i.e WIFI or the data connection on the handset.

As long as the recipient has Whatsapp then feel free to message away Smiley Happy

Right, that's exactly my problem. I would be limited to who I can send messages to. So I'd have better luck just using email than downloading ANOTHER messaging app.

0 Kudos