Menu
kteirvine
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you get an alert when Travel Pass is about to run out?

I am considering switching to Virgin Mobile from O2 and looking at the differences for using my phone travelling abroad. If I buy a travel pass will I be alerted when it's about to run out, so that I know to buy another one?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do you get an alert when Travel Pass is about to run out?

Hi kteirvine,

don't worry, you can't get "extra charges" because you can't go over it.

With Virgin Mobile you can only use mobile data abroad in the EU if you first purchase an EU Data Travel Pass.

You can keep track of how much you have left as you go by texting STATUS to 23456, free of charge.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Last time I used a EU data pass was back in September, I received one text saying that I had nearly used all the pass up, when the pass data was used up another text came in saying so.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos

All Replies
J0hn
Super solver
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The travel pass is only for data within the EU other than that the prices are laid out on the website along with the info on obtaining your balance, when the balance is used up you just pay for more via the text option

http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/mobile/using-your-mobile/abroad.html
0 Kudos
kteirvine
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes I'm aware of how it works in general, but not the fine detail. Do you get a notification to tell you that you've used up the EU data of the pass you've bought? For example if I bought the 250mb pass, how would I know if I'd used all the data up? I wouldn't want to run out of the passes data value and for it then to flip over to normal data charges, and then get charged a fortune. I'm with O2 just now and if I go to the EU I pay a set charge per day, but only for any day that I use it. Therefore if I don't use it I know I won't be charged for that day. I also get a notification when I'm about to run out of that day's data, so I know to stop using data or else I'll go on to extra charges. Does the same sort of notification happen with the travel pass?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi kteirvine,

don't worry, you can't get "extra charges" because you can't go over it.

With Virgin Mobile you can only use mobile data abroad in the EU if you first purchase an EU Data Travel Pass.

You can keep track of how much you have left as you go by texting STATUS to 23456, free of charge.

kteirvine
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Last time I used a EU data pass was back in September, I received one text saying that I had nearly used all the pass up, when the pass data was used up another text came in saying so.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kteirvine,

just an extra thought. You say at the moment that you are with O2.

If you come to Virgin Mobile as a Pay Monthly customer you will need to wait three months for roaming to be activated on your account.

If this is what you are considering and your intention was to travel sooner you would first need to discuss it with customer services and may be asked for a deposit.

0 Kudos
kteirvine
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Teabag. That's exactly what I was trying to establish

0 Kudos
kteirvine
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

AlexKid, do you know why it takes so long? I have been a Virgin Media customer for many years and have the Big Kahuna package. If I was roaming abroad it would probably only be within the EU and so I would intend using a travel pass. Are you saying that I wouldn't even be able to purchase a travel pass? I'm not intending travelling abroad until next June or July (unless I win the lottery before then, lol).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi kteirvine,

I have no idea why Virgin Mobile has that rule in place, I just know that it exists:

" If you Pay Monthly and you’ve been with us for less than 3 months, we may ask you to pay a £50 deposit. If you Pay As You Go, you’re good to go."

Being a long standing Media customer makes no difference. Even a long time Pay As You Go customer recently switching to Pay Monthly will be caught out by this.

It's not so much the purchasing of a travel pass as being able to use your phone abroad.

Without "Roaming" being turned on in your account before you leave the UK your phone will not connect to one of Virgin's partner networks once abroad (calls, texts or data).

0 Kudos