Menu
F4t3W34v3R
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Disgraceful Customer Service

On 18th April, I sent my phone back to VM for inspection/repair, as it was not charging properly. Never did I expect the nightmare as follows to ensue....

VM contacted me on 25th April to inform me that there was physical damage to the phone and that I would have to pay £78 for it to be repaired. A bit shocked and bewildered (as there was no physical damage when I sent the phone back) I agreed to pay. I need my phone for work.

My phone arrived back on 29th April. Sadly, it was still not working. Indeed, I had now noticed that the pins in the charger port were broken. This was definitely not the case when I originally sent it back.

So VM had taken £78 of my hard earned money for no repair. I made a complaint to the CEO's office. It took VM another 3 WEEKS to sent a second parcel bag for me to return the phone.

In the meantime, my original payment of £78 had been refunded as a "good will gesture" so I assumed that the repair would now be free, due to the 5 weeks of not having a viable handset. Nope.

I had a call on Saturday afternoon demanding I pay £78. I explained that the woman from the Complaints team (Laura?) had refunded it, and why. I point blank refused to pay the £78 and she said she would investigate.

I e-mailed the Complaints team, attaching a copy of the original conversation. "Laura" got back in touch to say:

"I'm very sorry to hear your phone has not been repaired , i can confirm i have  refunded the first payment back to you as your phone was never repaired , you then recieved the new  bag eventually and the phone was booked back in for repair ,as the first payment was refunded the repair would be chargable.
However due to the inconvenience you have faced if you were to pay for the repair £78.00 i would be happy to refund half the charge back to you.
To book the phone in for repair please call our techincal team on 0345 6000 789 once this has been done and paid i shall refund £39.00 "

I called back first thing this morning when I read the e-mail for the first time, only to be told that I could not make a payment as my account was "suspended" though I have no idea why - My balance is £0.00 and both my card details and direct debits were still in place.

I made another telephone call this afternoon in order to try and figure out what was happening.

The polite lad I spoke to said that the phone had already been sent back to me on Saturday, despite assurances from the person I spoke to then that she would investigate the need for payment.

Upon arriving home, I made another call. This time in order to cancel my contract with you. I was sent around the houses, different departments, etc. Nobody seemed to want to listen to my complaint.

When I asked for my PAC code, I was told that I was not allowed to have it. This is a fictitious lie, as a Customer has a legal right to be given his or her PAC code when asking for it.

Eventually, whilst on hold, the phone was cut off. I phoned back again and explained what had happened in the previous 30 minute call.

A member of the management team called me back 5 minutes later. I spent 45 minutes on the phone to her (much of it whilst she put me on hold, whilst she tried to figure out whether you guys still had my phone or not) being told that the reason my phone (LG L90) had not been repaired was because it was not “economically viable” to do so.

I had never been told this. If this was the case, then why not just send me a replacement handset, instead of pretending to be willing and able to repair it? When I asked to be put through to the cancellations team, I was put on hold, again, before the phone went dead.

The exact same trick happened when I immediately phoned back.

To further infuriation, whilst I was out at football this evening, Virgin Mobile called my family home no less than 4 times. Each time, hanging up on the member of my family who picked the phone up.

This is disgraceful behaviour.

I want my contract cancelled immediately, and without charge, or I shall be taking this matter to OFCOM, Trading Standards as well as media outlets such as Watchdog on the BBC.

Given that it will soon be 8 weeks since my complaint was first lodges, I will also be taking the matter to CISAS.

There is no way I am paying for my contract to be cancelled when for the past 6 weeks, due to your incompetence, I have not had the service I have been paying for.

Please provide me with my PAC code, to enable to smooth transfer to another service provider.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disgraceful Customer Service

Hi F4t3W34v3R,

Welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear you've not had the best customer service experience from us.

I can see from reading your post that this has been very frustrating time for you. We can only deal with general queries via the community however I will send you a private message on how we can take this forward for you.

Look forward to hearing from you Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
F4t3W34v3R
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi. I have filled out the form as required.

My phone has arrived back unrepaired AGAIN today.

I want my contract cancelled without charge.

Regards,

Al

0 Kudos
F4t3W34v3R
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Well, thanks to a lovely understanding lady in your call centre (one of the only ones not to have ever been rude/hang up on me) this afternoon, the last 16 months of my contract has been cancelled free of charge. I did not catch her name, but she is a superstar.

Regards and good riddance,

Al

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Al,

Thanks for keeping the community updated.

I'm really pleased to hear you've got the problem resolved. Obviously it's not nice to hear a customer is leaving us. I'm sorry we've let you down on this occasion.

Take care and all the best.

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
fireitup
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have had very similar experiences with Virgin. My previous posts will testify to that. And, when you think it couldn't get any worse, it does.

I just want them to cancel my contract so that I can go and get a phone + contract elsewhere but they want an obscene amount of money to cancel a service that I am not even able to use. 

Again, I reluctantly called them up and asked them to repair my phone, they sent me their 'PHAMBULANCE' in which I posted the phone to them along with a comprehensive list of symptoms. I received it back really quickly, just 3 days.

The letter enclosed said, "One of our technicians has thoroughly examined your phone, found the issue and fixed it. We've given your phone a full internal service, including upgrading the software, which may increase battery life and enhance performance".

I also received a card from Samsung Smart Service saying the repair has been subject to Samsung quality control.

Fantastic, Except the phone is STILL FAULTY with exactly the same issues. LOL

Called them up again and after being passed around the houses and only got cut off once, they want to try again citing reasons why they may have been unable to fix it first time even though they said it was fixed?

So glad I chose Virgin. NOT!

I feel it is important to say that I am not a naturally rude person. I see no point in being rude to people on a telephone that I don't know and who are probably trying to do what they can to help. Unfortunately, Virgin seem to severely restrict what these people are able to do and their genuine attempts to help are all to often fruitless due to Virgin's (the company) obvious disregard for customers whom they have already tied up in contracts and see no need to provide appropriate or even warranted customer service. Most of us are not trying to get one over on Virgin, we just want what we paid for. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi fireitup,

Thanks for posting. I'm extremely sorry to hear about the failed attempts at repairing your phone.

I can see you've also posted here and Mat_H has replied. Can you confirm if the phone has been posted back for repair again?

Please post reply here and we can assist you further.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
admey1973
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just had a similar experience, after paying £120.00 for a new screen repair for my Samsung galaxy A5, I received the phone back today after paying an extra £5 for Saturday delivery to be told that the repair hadn't been paid for, so they had returned the phone - best of it is, is that everybody at Virgin can see on their system that the money has been paid.....

Said they can book the phone back in for repair as I have already paid for it - but of course this means that I will be without a phone for another week to week and a half - not ideal when I have two young children and people need to get hold of me - have been advised that I will receive compensation for the time that the sim card is not in use but that is not the issue, the issue being is that I have paid for a service and taken an additional cost to get my phone back and nothing has happened with it!

I think that Virgin really need to get a handle on this because it was admitted to me that this does happen but surely there should be checks in place to such as ensure that it doesn't especially when an amount such as £120.00 has been paid (not a huge amount but enough!)

Forum Team (Retired) Mat_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Admey1973,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience this has caused. We want to get this all sorted as soon as we can. Please keep me posted and let me know if you need anything at all.

Thanks,

Mat

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
admey1973
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

hi Mat,

Thanks for the response - I have now requested that a new phone return pack be sent to me as I have already paid out £120.00 for the repair, so in theory I should get my phone back some time this month...... however this is does not change the fact that I have I had little communication regarding this, other than a phone call at home saying that I need to contact Virgin regarding the repair (the paperwork I sent back with the phone provided additional contact details - my wife's phone number and my email address so that I could be easily contacted, being as we both work).

I do understand that a "mistake" has been made during this process but my concern is the lack of "compassion" for a better word, when I as a loyal Virgin consumer ( I have the full package with you at home), have been passed from pillar to post -  I was told by Kelly (a team lead I believe in technical) that the phone was passed back at 2a.m. for return, on the same day I paid the £120.00 for the repair - 2 a.m., who is likely to be passing a phone back at that time for return to a customer..... I know we a 24 hour nation but that seems little strange?

I have received a credit against my account from one of your advisors when the phone first failed as she had recently had a similar experience and therefore fully understood inconvenience it can cause.

My main gripe is the lack of admission that there has been a breakdown in communication between various departments within Virgin mobile and that it does not really seem to be a problem - to me, not reading lines on internal communication's is unforgiveable as the business I work is very digital savvy, so attention to detail is paramount, and time, as they say is money - however, just to be told to send the phone back in for it's repair (which I had already paid for and is no doubt accruing interest in Virgins account) is not acceptable - I have explored various options, like upgrading early as that that is almost financially viable but I wouldn't be able to get the standard of phone I currently have (although it doesn't work) - what I would really like is an apology from Virgin that they have "cocked up" and therefore give me some kind of recompense for a situation caused by a lack of "attention to detail".

As an aside, I did receive my phone back quickly through DPD but had to pay an additional £5 to get it on the weekend, only to discover that the repair hadn't been done, which has of course prompted the various phone calls and the emails flying around.

If you could respond to me at your earliest convenience with your thoughts regarding the possibility of additional compensation it would be appreciated, as being without a mobile at the moment (and probably for another week at least) is quite difficult with two small children, as I need a channel of communication with various carers.

Regards

Adam

0 Kudos