Menu
randolphsT
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Data usage warnings

Why does Virgin not inform customers when they send txt messages regarding data usage..that charges over and above the agreed payment will be incurred...that when a verbal contract is undertaken that you are not made clear of these charges ...and to hide these conditions  on a webpage that they do not tell you about...

This has cost me a fortune..and i feel duped

Just because the majority of people know these things...some of us older people dont

The system seems set up just to trip you up !!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data usage warnings

Hi randolphsT,

these charges you are on about aren't exactly hidden.

Infact (for Virgin Mobile) they're very easily found and clearly displayed.

Click on "SIM Only Deals" which is the page you would look at if you were considering a purchase + comes up 1st in a Google search (so it's not hard to find).

Scroll down the page and it says in quite prominent lettering:

Got a question about our services?

What if I go over my data allowance? (Click on this line and it displays the info').

I appreciate that £2 per day for out of tariff use can soon mount up and might come as a shock but it's hardly hidden.

It's only prudent to acquaint yourself with all possible charges / costs when entering into any contract and this is your responsibility.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
randolphsT
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can i ask you this AlexKid...

I dont know your age ...but If your parents or grandparents who are pensioners with limited income were presented with a bill of several hundred pounds...

would you still feel that this was fair ?...

You may not be old enough to have come across written contracts...but years ago if you entered into an agreement with someone you were presented with a contract which you would sign...ALL the facts ...ALL the stipulations.....ALL the small print (that's where the term come from) were GIVEN to you directly

if you were foolish enough to not read this and sign you could quite rightly expect the consequences.

I understand that things have changed...but the way it is now set up, it is in favor of the vendor and is detrimental to the buyer in what i consider a dishonest way.

In my case I made a agreement over the phone and was not informed of these charges directly, nor was i directed to the terms and to their location

I am old but i try and keep pace with things and i transferred from another provider who when you reached your limit the service stopped.

Why, if I knew about these charges would i rack up a bill i cant afford . Am I trying to get away with not paying for something i've used or have I made a mistake that could have been avoided by virgin.

I cannot complain in writing to anyone, There is no email address for the complaints dept, there is know one i can sit down with and talk face to face.

There is just this forum to ask advice. Thank you for replying, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but your answer made you sound as if you are employed by Virgin as an apologist. All i wanted was some advice off other elderly (or young) customers who have come across this situation and with advice on how to resolve it.

because without it, I'm going to have a very miserable winter 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi randolphsT,

Thank you for your post on the Forum. We do not suspend your data usage if you have used your monthly allowance. Thanks to @AlexKid for providing further information on this. 

There are settings within your mobile handset and available third party apps that can be used. We recommend downloading the My Account app so that you keep track of your monthly balance and allowance. Apologies for the inconvenience this causes.

Please have a look at @Mark_Y's post for further information: Restricting data usage

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
randolphsT
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks...I dont need advice on using less data..

just the decency to be told CLEARLY about it in the first place...and the massages sent warning of usage could easily have a warning that over usage would create an extra charge...

I have finally spoke to customers services and they have admitted that I was not told of the charges over the phone and have agreed to refund 50%

If anyone else has had this issue please insist on a refund. Verbal contracts are only binding when the vendor either states them clearly or sends you them to sign. Simply have a webpage is not allowed in contractual law as the page can be changed at any time.

0 Kudos