Menu
sussamb
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming

Just back from a holiday in France when I wanted to use data so bought a data package.  Even though my phone is set for roaming, as is my account, I couldn't access a 3G signal in France so was unable to use the data package I'd paid for.

Called support this morning to be told that while roaming was set up data roaming wasn't,  first I'd heard that there was a difference!  Story got even more confusing and didn't really get a satisfactory answer so maybe someone here can help. 

I was told that I need to check data roaming is still active in future before I go, when I queried this I was told it would be switched on for 3, or 6, months (advisor not really sure) and that I should phone every time to check.  Really?  I was then told I could also switch it on via my account but looking there all it has is roaming, nothing separate for data.

This is all very strange.  If roaming is on why is data separate?  Why can't I elect for it to remain permanently on?  Seems now every time I go abroad I need to phone Virgin to check all is well, is this really the case or does the person I spoke to have no real idea?  If I do need to phone every time why is the system so archaic??!!!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming

Hi sussamb,

Welcome to the Community Forum, thanks for your post. I'm sorry that your data roaming wasn't activated and that you have been given confusing information.

There is voice roaming and data roaming that are activated on your account. When you set your account to allow roaming, this should activate both, but in some cases it fails and we have to manually change the setting on your account. This is why the agent advised that you call in--but there's no limit as to how long this stays on. If we set this to active, then it should stay that way until you make changes on your online account or call in to have this deactivated.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
sussamb
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, does that mean my settings have now been changed manually and that my data roaming is now active and will remain so, or that I still have to phone to get it switched on?

I think it does but having been bitten before I just want to confirm it 100%, as next time I go to France it's essential that data roaming is active.

Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi sussambm,

I can get this done for you, but I'll need to verify your details first. I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Thanks,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
sussamb
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Reply to pm sent, thanks for your prompt help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos