Menu
leeder
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming in Poland, using contracted allowances?

I'm travelling from the UK to Poland in a few days time.

I have just called Virgin Mobile to check that my data roaming is indeed enabled (last trip I enabled it online, however it didn't work and I had to sort it out whilst out there) and enquire about a travel data pass.

The operator just informed me that I don't need to purchase a travel pass, as I have plenty data allowance left on my balance for this month and I could use this.  I asked him to confirm this and if there would be an additional cost involved and he assured me that there would be no extra cost, as I am only using what I have already purchased through my monthly contract.

This is the first I have heard of this (I purchased a travel plan last trip) and I'm a bit dubious and worried it could lead to a big bill, can anyone confirm if this information I have been given this morning is correct or not?

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data roaming in Poland, using contracted allowances?

It's not correct. There are still roaming charges for Voice, Text and Data in the EU, however these have all been reduced recently

The EU Data Passes now cost 35p for 10MB, £1.50 for 50MB and £5 for 250MB.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's not correct. There are still roaming charges for Voice, Text and Data in the EU, however these have all been reduced recently

The EU Data Passes now cost 35p for 10MB, £1.50 for 50MB and £5 for 250MB.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
leeder
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response.  Shame we cant feed back to the helpline to save them giving out incorrect info again. Do you know if I purchase data before I leave will I start using it right away in this country or should I wait until I am at my destination to purchase the package?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi leeder,

they start straight away so purchase when you are ready to use it.

This page may be useful to you: http://store.virginmedia.com/discover/mobile/using-your-mobile/abroad.html

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
kempo23
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am in Tenerife now, purchased the 50MB pass but cannot access internet on my phone. Have checked everything is switched on but nothing works. Contacting Virgin is almost impossible without spending more money. Is there something I need to do? (apart from changing provider when i get back)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kempo23,

have you checked that "Data roaming" is enabled on your phone itself?

Possibly: Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Data roaming

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

0 Kudos
kempo23
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, mobile data and data roaming both on. Also data roaming enabled in my Virgin account.

Have also checked to see if Virgin have charged me, they have.

0 Kudos
kempo23
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I purchased the 50MB pass but still cant access the internet. I am in Tenerife on Orange network, data roaming is switched on.

Apart from wasting more money phoning Virgin, what else can I do?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi kempo23

Thanks for keeping in touch about the Data Roaming while you were in Tenerife and my apologies this didn't work for you Smiley Sad

I appreciate you may be on your way home now, but I did drop into the account this morning and sent a refresh signal to boost this again for you if this is still an issue, just in case you are still abroad. The signal I have sent can take up to 48 hours to process.

Please let us know if this works if you're still away in Tenerife, but if not, if you could get in touch with our teams on 789 or 0345 6000 789 and chat with them when you can to see about the possibility of getting the 50MB Data pass you purchased refunded, if this hasn't worked for you.

I have noted the account to support that you have advised us that this hasn't worked for you whilst you have been away.

Please keep us posted.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
kempo23
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen

Yes still in Tenerife and still no connection. I even tried purchasing the 50MB again via text message but received "Whoops! Looks like we could't process that . . . . . .

Very disappointing

0 Kudos