Menu
boxxxi
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Data roaming NOT WORKING in EU

It was my FOURTH time abroad within a year, being a Virgin Mobile customer, FOURTH time left alone without data roaming.... Happened in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary. I could receive and make calls / texts, but had no internet at all.
My data roaming was enabled, travel pass was bought and CHARGED and nothing.....
Tried automatic network selection, tried manual selection, none of them worked.
Called 789 every time and all I got was useless, obvious things I've already tried, and of course APOLOGIES.... Happened with a Samsung Galaxy S4.
Would be awesome to have less apologies and more data, since I spend my quids on texts saying "BUY 250MB", not "BUY APOLOGIES".
So could somebody tell me a REAL solution before I leave for two weeks to Hungary in April, and after being without data roaming again, and returning home ending all my contracts with Virgin? 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data roaming NOT WORKING in EU

Hi boxxxi,

I understand how frustrating it is when your roaming service hasn't worked four times when travelling abroad. I can look into this for you, but will need to take more information from you. 

I'll send you a private message requesting further details. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Tomshayes60
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've had exactly the same problem in France, Italy, Finland, Belgium etc... All my settings are correct as verified over the phone by Virgin.. Text and calls OK WiFi Ok.. Data roaming not a hope.. Absolutely useless.. I tried automatic network selection, tried manual selection, none of them worked whilst in EU  but all to no avail.. I will be changing my UK provider if this does not get sorted.. Waste of time when you had to buy data passes and it still doesn't work under the new EU rules.. I was in Milan this weekend!.. Tom

boxxxi wrote:

It was my FOURTH time abroad within a year, being a Virgin Mobile customer, FOURTH time left alone without data roaming.... Happened in France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary. I could receive and make calls / texts, but had no internet at all.
My data roaming was enabled, travel pass was bought and CHARGED and nothing.....
Tried automatic network selection, tried manual selection, none of them worked.
Called 789 every time and all I got was useless, obvious things I've already tried, and of course APOLOGIES.... Happened with a Samsung Galaxy S4.
Would be awesome to have less apologies and more data, since I spend my quids on texts saying "BUY 250MB", not "BUY APOLOGIES".
So could somebody tell me a REAL solution before I leave for two weeks to Hungary in April, and after being without data roaming again, and returning home ending all my contracts with Virgin? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomshayes60,

Welcome to the Community Forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your data roaming service.

I have responded to you via private messaging requesting further information in order to look into this. Just check the envelope icon at the top right of this page.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tomshayes60,

Thank you for sending your details via PM. I have reset this on your account. It can take up to 24 hours for this to update on the network.

Just reboot your handset and retry.

Please let me know how this goes for you.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Tomshayes60
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Terri

Thanks

I will reboot phone but I wont know if EU data roaming is successful until I am in France next (12th July)

Regards

Tom

0 Kudos
Cliffcheese
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Having same issue.
Checked & double checked account settings.
Tried everything more than once, other than hard reset as can't remove battery.
Day 4 now and very VERY frustrating.
Please advise on how to resolve asap. (Can't see option to PM)
Thanks
Richard
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Richard,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm so sorry you're not able to access data roaming in the EU too.

I'll send you a private message to see if I can get to the bottom of this for you. To view this click on the purple envelope on the top right.

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos
boxxxi
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

UPDATE!!
I've solved the problem finally.....

....by leaving Virgin and getting a contract with EE, works perfectly all over Europe!

GusA
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

boxxxi wrote:

UPDATE!!
I've solved the problem finally.....

....by leaving Virgin and getting a contract with EE, works perfectly all over Europe!

I'm about to do the same thing. Both myself and my wife have pay monthly contracts for a while now. She has been in Greece on holidays for a week and no matter what options she has tried the data roaming is simply not working. The settings on her phone and her account are fine, and I even called Customer Support yesterday to make sure that both my mobile and hers are properly set up for roaming. Alas, she tried again today, took the battery off and restarted her phone and still it's not working.

Funny thing, my mother in law is with her at the moment, she has a pay as you go contract with EE and guess what, her data ARE WORKING. This is beyond ridiculous as Virgin Media uses EE's network and I can't just fathom it. There is definitely something going on that prevents VM users to use data properly and they just can't admit it, forcing us into a perpetual cycle of contacting Customer Support again and again to no avail.

I'm also travelling to Greece in two weeks and may be forced to switch to EE before that.

Any VM representative dare to deal with this? I'm waiting.

0 Kudos