Menu
stefanodeco
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Data off when calling

Hi,

I have noticed that when I'm making a voice call my signal drops to 2g and the data connection stops working and I am unable to use my internet connection.As soon as I hang up my phone the signal goes back to 4G and everything goes back to normal. 

That happens every time. I live in an area with a very strong 3G and 4G signal and I have VoLTE enabled on my smartphone (Oneplus 3).

Does anyone else have the same problem or know how to fix it?

Thank you

Stefano

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data off when calling

A phone can only work on one band at a time.
It looks like 3g signal is low in your area and calls are connecting via 2g, the phone drops to 2g for the call = no data service on 2g.
When the calls are made over 3g, the data connection would drop to 3g.
4g data can only stay connected when the call is over 4g, not available on Virgin Mobile.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stefanodeco
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi and thanks for replying. Both 4G and 3G signals are extremely strong in my area, full coverage. In addition my device supports calls over the 4G.
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure why the calls are on 2g, when your 3g signal excellent?

Your device may support calls via 4g, but the network your connected to (Virgin) does not support calls over 4g.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
stefanodeco
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ok, so, excluding the 4G calls, which are not available on Virgin, I don't understand why my phone does not use the 3G band for the call.

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It has to be signal or a setting on the phone.
If it happens everywhere - phone settings?
If its only at home, house with thick walls/insulation = bad signal?

Just double checked on mine, call came in on 3g and data dropped to H+ (3g).
0 Kudos
stefanodeco
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It happens everywhere. It might be a problem with my phone at this point. Thanks for your help.

By the way, any idea on when Virgin mobile will allow phone calls over the 4G band?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you can't find any reason for calls only on 2g in the phone settings, maybe worth calling Virgin and request a replacement SIM to try.

With 4g being relatively new with Virgin, I'll expect it will be a while before we see any changes/improvements in the service :-(
0 Kudos
enlli
Super solver
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

stefanodeco wrote:
It happens everywhere. It might be a problem with my phone at this point. Thanks for your help.

By the way, any idea on when Virgin mobile will allow phone calls over the 4G band?

Made a post about this.  No MNVO on EE will be getting this feature till some time after the next roll our of 800MHZ 

I suspect it will be some time before you see this feature

0 Kudos