Menu
staceyowens94
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Data charges when data's off

Finally got my fancy new LG G2 sorted out in November, had free data all through December but forgot to top up so I know I have no free data left and therefore haven't turned my data on all year. There's absolutely no way I could have accidentally left it on as to my knowledge there is only one place that I can turn mobile data off and on from.

Sadly this hasn't made the faintest bit of difference, as I've so far lost £7 out of my £8.10 credit to mobile data charges. Today is so far the only time that it hasn't happened while I was asleep in bed and my phone was connected to the Virgin WiFi at home, but again I can say with absolute certainty it was connected to WiFi (and again, mobile data is still turned off).

Does anyone have an explanation of why, or instructions on getting a refund?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data charges when data's off

Have you restarted / powered down your phone? Personally once had a s4 fail to switch off cell radio untill reboot, perhaps similar sort of glitch.

Do you have a battery booster type app installed? 

Nothing else is coming to mind - if mobile data is off in settings it should be off. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

All Replies
staceyowens94
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update: it happened again at 1:50am this morning. I now have absolutely no usable credit despite the fact that I am yet to spend any of it. I want my money back. This is not how you treat someone who has been your incredibly loyal customer for the last nine years.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I know with iPhone iOS 9.2 there's a new feature which turns on cellular data when wifi has a weak signal which has been causing problems exactly the same as you describe, don't know whether your device has something similar in the settings.

You could try airplane mode to see whether cellular data is being turn on by an app or setting, if it doesn't turn on then I'd say there's a setting or app turning it on, if it still turns on then there might be a problem with the phone as something is definitely overriding the settings.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
staceyowens94
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

At this point that wouldn't tell me anything as all of my credit has been drained, and I think you can understand my reluctance to top up. According to the settings' graph it's been the android system using the data
0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have you restarted / powered down your phone? Personally once had a s4 fail to switch off cell radio untill reboot, perhaps similar sort of glitch.

Do you have a battery booster type app installed? 

Nothing else is coming to mind - if mobile data is off in settings it should be off. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Lee_B
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi staceyowens94

It does seem quite inconvenient that your data is being used when the data is off on the handset

The smartphone handsets do automatically check for updates by itself or "background data" as its also known

I would also agree with the other comments to try and turn "cellular data" off

IF you are finding that you topping up I highly recommend the 30 day sim only contracts

it would probably work out cheaper for you to pay £10 per month on a sim only whereby it gives you 1gb of data for example. Then at least you have some sort of data allowance

Have I answered your question today? Mark the question as resolved if so!

Mark as helpful answer if this has helped you to show other members the resolution

Virgin Mobile Staff , However, All opinions are my own

0 Kudos
staceyowens94
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well I'm supposed to be able to keep the "£10 to use outside of [my] rewards" along with the 3k texts and 1gb, so without this persistent data issue chipping away at my credit topping up when I need/can afford to would be much cheaper than being locked in to £10 a month for a similar deal without the £10 buffer. Sent someone to top up my card last night (so I never left my home Virgin WiFi) and according to my recent usage it happened again a little over half an hour later (though at least I've managed to eke out some texts this time). Tried restarting my phone, which I know isn't a proper reboot, but it happened again around 2am (obviously I'm mostly to blame for this one as I knew it could happen). I've now rebooted it properly to see if it'll behave tomorrow, but if it doesn't I'll have to start keeping it in Airplane Mode and look into switching companies at the end of next month. I appreciate everyone's help though.
0 Kudos
Magic_M
Up to speed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Picking up on an earlier idea from Doctor9fan - Smart Network Switch (settings-> wifi). It should be disabled with mobile data off in any case but might be worth a check anyway, you want it to be switched off / disabled.

Unless you have an app installed capable of switching data on the only other thing I can think to do is the nuclear option. Hardly ideal but maybe it is worth considering a factory reset :/
0 Kudos
painten1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My mobile data usage has consistently been well under under 50mb a month, demonstrated in 4 years of statements, all of a sudden I get charged for going over my allowance. After checking the itemised bill for this month it stated the usage was every few minutes all day every day. I immediately knew this was wrong, as, I often leave my phone switched off for days on end. I called virgin and was told that I'm wrong, the phone couldn't be off as their system is always 100% correct. I said that's a ridiculous statement, nothing is always 100% correct all the time! I said look at the days where the bill shows no calls were made or received, showing the times I had the phone off. Yet it still magically was able to use mobile data all day every day!.  I offered to send a screen shot of what my phone states was the real usage, which is no where near my monthly allowance and that's for 3 months use. Anything I said was wrong and all irrelevant as their system is always 100% correct.  I can't believe they said such a thing when I know it's wrong!!!  Ive refused to pay and having investigated this issue online, it's clear mistakes do happen and customers are wrongly billed for data not used. Even virgin admitted on their Facebook that they have made mistakes re data usage. So their system can be wrong, they stated that, so I will be challenging this all the way.   They even told me I don't know when my phone is off!!! Unbelievable talking to a customer like that.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hey painten1,

Welcome back and thank you for coming in. I'm sorry to read that the call into us led to you feeling this way. I suppose a 100% is correct, even the best scientists allow a 0.099% of anything. With the phone turned off, tjhat is a very confirming bit of information and I would like to know what time this is happening according to your bil, was it a particular time?

I would like to help and also would like to ask if you have recently called in to have this looked into before i go any further?

Please stay in touch and thank you.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos