Menu
Zweistein
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Data allowance usage issues

For over a year I've used a Samsung Galaxy S3 with a 250MB data allowance, throughout this time I have never used anywhere near that allowance, using Wi-Fi wherever possible.

Of course the allowance was used daily through the usage of Facebook, Google searches, Viber and the occasional You Tube visit, however, since upgrading to a Sony Xperia Z2 just a couple of weeks ago, with the same data allowance, I have now received notification that 75% of that allowance has been used already.

As far as I am concerned I have not changed the way I use my phone for data on a daily basis, I have followed the usual advise, stopped auto updates for Apps etc, is this possibly a device issue?

Any help appreciated thank you.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data allowance usage issues

If your habits haven't changed, then it's certainly a device issue. It could be something simple like your S3 was set up to connect via wifi if available, whereas the Z2 is not. The S3 might have more passwords for local hotspots, while the Z2 only has your home router configured.

Or it might just be that the Z2 is making bigger demands on your data connection. It might be trying to download an update. The S3 has been around a while and is probably not likely to get any big updates in the near future. If the Z2 is a recent device, Sony might be sending out the occasional sneaky hotfix....

0 Kudos
KevAmiga
Up to speed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My Z1 has had 2 updates in the last few weeks... could be that?

If you go into settings, about phone, software update, click the dots at the top of the screen to get into the options, and set it to WiFi Only.

TiVo, 150mb BB, Telco, Mobile.. .got em all Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wether or not youve changed your uses 250mb is a TINY amojunt for any phone, a single decent length youtube video will eat that

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

alpha123 wrote:

Wether or not youve changed your uses 250mb is a TINY amojunt for any phone, a single decent length youtube video will eat that

http://notalwaysright.com/needs-more-data-on-data/43594

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I used to work in a virgin media store so ive seen that one pop up a fair amount XD

0 Kudos
Zweistein
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the comments, I'm aware that 250 meg is a tiny amount, I guess that is part of the issue, the allowance for the S3 was never used up, that's four weeks of usage on a daily basis without me being tight about the usage.

Now the life is being sucked out of my new phone which is used in the same way.

0 Kudos
alpha123
Up to speed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your new phone is using more but like ive said

youve just said you use youtube on a 250mb download limit, your asking to use up your data allowance with that. maybe one day you had better signal so it got better quality video, or you watched a slightly longer video, anythings possible but you cant try to use data heavy things with almost no data allowance  its always gonna end badly

0 Kudos