Menu
alan_bundy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Data allocation leakage

Why does my data allocation continue to leak away, albeit by small amounts, when I am on a wi-fi connection? I thought the data allocation was only used when I was on 3G or similar.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Data allocation leakage

Hi alan_bundy,

when in standby your phone's WiFi may "sleep" as a battery saving measure. Check the settings on your device.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alan_bundy wrote:

So, while the wi-fi sleeps, the phone may never-the-less download emails and text messages that eat into my data allocation. Thanks. 

Worse than that - it may download operating system and/or software updates if you've not prevented this in your settings. You suddenly find you've used up all your allowance even though you've not been "on wifi" all the time.

teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

datasence? A windows phone.

Very small amounts of data used regularly at 1hour intervals is quite common for a windows phone, even while you are connected to WiFi. My wife's windows phone is the same and others have posted on here, unless your running out of data - I would not worry about it, turning off mobile in the phones settings when you don't need it will help.

A guide on what datasence can do for you
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10655/windows-phone-use-data-sense-to-manage-data-usage
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
paperclip
Rising star
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On Android all that's required is to close down mobile data, this means while at home on WiFi if the router were to shut down due to a power cut then no data would be used unless the WiFi is back on or mobile Web switched back on again.
Is this setting not available on Windows phones?
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi paperclip

Yes you can turn off mobile data OK, but the regular amounts used are small (3 or 4 kB average) so would not be a problem unless your data allowance is very low.

Personally I think, it's a smart phone - set it up right for your needs and leave data on, don't cripple it by turning data off :-)
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can switch off your mobile Web which will stop any leakage as well as preventing auto software updates within settings, turning off mobile Web when on WiFi will cause no harm whatsoever, infact it's advisable to do so to save unnecessary data leakage.
paperclip
Rising star
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Not sure which window phone you have but you can try this.
Swipe left to view the Apps list.
Tap Settings.
Tap Mobile Network.
Tap Data Connection field.
Tap the desired option. On - enabled. Off - disabled.
Tap the Start key to return to the home screen.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi alan_bundy,

when in standby your phone's WiFi may "sleep" as a battery saving measure. Check the settings on your device.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

alan_bundy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So, while the wi-fi sleeps, the phone may never-the-less download emails and text messages that eat into my data allocation. Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

alan_bundy wrote:

Worse than that - it may download operating system and/or software updates if you've not prevented this in your settings. You suddenly find you've used up all your allowance even though you've not been "on wifi" all the time.

alan_bundy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

I found the 'datasense' tab in the settings and reset some of the entries there. Is that all I need to do?
0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

datasence? A windows phone.

Very small amounts of data used regularly at 1hour intervals is quite common for a windows phone, even while you are connected to WiFi. My wife's windows phone is the same and others have posted on here, unless your running out of data - I would not worry about it, turning off mobile in the phones settings when you don't need it will help.

A guide on what datasence can do for you
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10655/windows-phone-use-data-sense-to-manage-data-usage
paperclip
Rising star
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

On Android all that's required is to close down mobile data, this means while at home on WiFi if the router were to shut down due to a power cut then no data would be used unless the WiFi is back on or mobile Web switched back on again.
Is this setting not available on Windows phones?
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi paperclip

Yes you can turn off mobile data OK, but the regular amounts used are small (3 or 4 kB average) so would not be a problem unless your data allowance is very low.

Personally I think, it's a smart phone - set it up right for your needs and leave data on, don't cripple it by turning data off :-)
paperclip
Rising star
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can switch off your mobile Web which will stop any leakage as well as preventing auto software updates within settings, turning off mobile Web when on WiFi will cause no harm whatsoever, infact it's advisable to do so to save unnecessary data leakage.
alan_bundy
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm new to Windows phones, so I'd welcome advice on how to turn off mobile data.
0 Kudos