Menu
julieabroad
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Data Roaming in Spain

I have purchased a 250MB package of data for use in Spain. I have had a text to confirm it has been set up - but there is still no access to 3G this end. Calls are working - just no data. Can you help?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data Roaming in Spain

First thing I'd suggest checking is that your phone settings are set to enable Data roaming. These can be off by default to avoid unexpected charges.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi julieabroad,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear your having difficulties using data roaming. Appreciate this can be frustrating.

As BenMcr suggested you may have data roaming turned off on the handset. Here is a handset guide which may help. There are quite a few handset models with instructions around turning data roaming on.

Let us know how it goes.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Wile_E_Coyote
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Although my account stated roaming was activated (and has been for some years) I had to have my handset redone while I was away as a helpdesk check showed that it wasn't. This may have been caused by my moving from PAYG to monthly.

0 Kudos
gilbertwu
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have exactly the same problem. I am in Spain (Sotogrande) now. My internet access is only through WIFI and not 3G or mobile data via Orange in Spain.

0 Kudos
gilbertwu
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

My iPhone on Data Roaming is definitely set to on but still no data via mobile data.

0 Kudos
gilbertwu
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Frustrating. Guess the question is to see how I can get a refund from Virgin when I get back. What a waste of time and money.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi gilbertwu,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting,

Sorry to hear you're not able to use 3G while abroad.

Have you purchased a travel pass?

Here is a link to one of our mobile page's explaining how to purchase this.

If you have purchased the travel pass check to see if it is active by texting STATUS to 23456, free of charge.

If you need to speak with our mobile team to check on this for you please call on +440345 6000 789.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how it goes
Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sorry Stephen, but I am finding it frustrating that everywhere your advice is to text or phone when typically these services are unavailable to those who have gone abroad to find roaming is not working as expect. We are stranded with hotel WiFi only and only this forum to vent on.

Please what is the process to contact VM customer service when you have WiFi only?
0 Kudos
Andrew1010
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Looks like VM have had a major problem with their data roaming for a while. Moderators comments here appear to be canned advice. You can try emailing theteam@virginmobile.com but be warned response are slow. All automated services are only responding with canned apologies.

Good luck
Andrew
0 Kudos